Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reier
Paper Tape
Views: 2,539
Message 1 of 5

Lenovo tab 4 10 plus 5GHz bug

After using a lot of time solving a keyboard problem for connecting the standard recommended external keyboad and also problems with the default keyboard (another entry in this forum), I thought everything was OK with this tablet. (The default keyboard installed could not be used, so I had to download another keyboard and that solved this problem).

But no, when surfing on internet, the wireless WIFI connection 5GHz was disconnected after a while (sometimes after 20 seconds, sometimes after 20 minutes). The problem often occured when browsing  a slow internet site, but the disconnect was permanent. So I had to turn off wifi and turn it on again to fix this problem.

After searching this forum and on internet, I found that there was a reference to a recent bug using the 5GHz band, due to a recent firmware update. Today I used a couple of hours to change the setup of the Wifi router, to use a separate name for the 5GHz band and the 2.4GHz band. I noticed that the tablet first tried to connect to 2.4GHz and then to 5 GHz, and I thought maybe two connections could cause interference or something. But no, the problem happened even after I connected to 5GHz with the new wifi network name.

What I did then was to connect to the 2.4GHz network with a changed name. In that way the tablet would not try to connect to the 5GHz network. It seems like this solved the problem. What I also noticed was the the internet speed was the half of what it used to be, but that was expected too.

But Lenovo: I have checked the specs of the tablet Lenovo TB-x704F and it should support the 5GHz band. So what I have bought is actually a malfunctioning device (a software bug in the firmware is also a malfunction). What is Lenovo going to do about this? I really should get the money back when returning the device to there I bought it (Dustin), or Lenovo should repair this in some way, by a new firmware upgrade. 

I have used my other devices (Laptop, Samsung Phone, Iphone) connecting to my WLan without these problems, so this is a Lenovo Tablet problem only.

Luckily my home network supported both the 2.4GHz band and the 5Ghz band and I was able to fix the problem at home. But what if I try to connect the tablet somewhere with access to 5GHz only. A tablet of this type if useless if Wireless Lan cannot be used. 

I will not really recommend using Lenovo products to anyone. This is not the first time I have used a Lenovo device and problems like that has occured. In my job a got a Lenovo Thinkpad PC. This labtop typically shut down (bluescreen) twice a week. I was told it was a Bios problem. After 4 months I finally got a Bios upgrade (A second upgrade, the first did not fix this) that fixed this problem. But before that I lost parts what I was working on on the PC several times. And this was an expensive PC $2000 or something like that. Lenovo must take their customers more seriously, and test their software properly before installing it on a device.

best regards from Hans Reier Sigmond, Software developer /test automation expert / Project Manager Ciber Norway.

Reier
Paper Tape
Views: 2,511
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo tab 4 10 plus 5GHz bug

I verified later that the method of connecting to 5Ghz only on a device did not work, because Sonos required 2.4GHz. This was verified later when the music stopped. So the result is to use 2.4GHz only, but this decreases the speed of the connection in general. Previously the devices selected either 5Ghz bank when possible or 2.5GHz band for e.g. Sonos. Choosing this method will crash internet connection on mye tablet.
MattBrown
What's DOS?
Views: 1,996
Message 3 of 5

I am also having same problem with M10 tablet. It does not connect to my 5ghz wifi.

Does Lenovo have a comment.

This is my 1st Lenovo purchase and not a good experience so far.

Velenir
Paper Tape
Views: 1,878
Message 4 of 5

I have noticed my tablet would randomly find or not at all my 5GHz wifi network. Sometimes restarting my router would help. So I investigated what would be a random variable that changes on router reboot.

Turned out switching Frequency from auto to 5180 helps. Tablet can't cover some frequencies my router outputs, I guess.

If anyone's router supports that setting, give it a try. Also changing Band setting may help, though that comes with tradeoffs.

no-fun
What's DOS?
Views: 807
Message 5 of 5

I just received an M10 today. 5G was working fine, but now it won't connect Smiley Sad

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors