cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Willhound
Paper Tape
Views: 5,383
Message 1 of 13

Remove, disable or at least fix Lenovo Weather!

A new owner of just a lowly Tab E (TB-X104F) but for the cost I don't really have any complaints. Except, the silly Lenovo weather widget that seems to be embedded and can't be removed or disabled? I wouldn't mind so much if at least it was accurate, but it hasn't updated since the day I received the tablet. I did manage to remove the large display from the home screen, but the notification still shows at the top and can't get rid of it. I did try some of the suggestions I found in the forum for the P10 etc, but none seem to apply with my model. Ideas?

EDIT: Sorry, should also mention running Android 8.1.0

I2k4
802.11n
Views: 5,366
Message 2 of 13

Re: Remove, disable or at least fix Lenovo Weather!

20190322_094412.jpg

Settings / Apps and notifications / Show all / tap three dots upper right to show System apps / tap each Weather app to disable it.  I recall the second Weather app appearing and active after the Oreo upgrade - puzzling because I'd disabled it under Nougat.  But it's disabled  now, as above.

Lenovo Tab4 8 - TB-8504F (ZA2B0009US) - Oreo 8.1
Willhound
Paper Tape
Views: 5,302
Message 3 of 13

Thanks for that suggestion 12k4 but no go on my Tab E. I can get to the app, but can only Force Stop. Disable button will not highlight or function. So as soon as Tab restarts it's right back.

I2k4
802.11n
Views: 5,290
Message 4 of 13

Sorry, I agree it's a nuisance app.  There seem to be various configs of Oreo for these things.  [Update]  I could have mentioned, I use Greenify (Oasis Feng) to "hibernate" apps with unwanted background activity - don't know if it will work on Lenovo Weather.   Once hibernated an app is dormant until / unless the user launches it - it's a good general resource-saver:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oasisfeng.greenify&hl=en_CA

HenryZ
802.11n
Views: 5,286
Message 5 of 13

You can disable the app by following this guide (it requires a little effort though):

https://www.xda-developers.com/uninstall-carrier-oem-bloatware-without-root-access/
Willhound
Paper Tape
Views: 5,232
Message 6 of 13

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Greenify didn't work, it won't even show the Lenovo Weather app it is that well protected. The programming fix is a little more in-depth than I'd like to tackle for this particular issue, but I will keep it in mind for future use.

For the time being, I sort of have a work around. I installed Accuweather and the widget for it (I like Accuweather anyway) and was able to make that the dominant weather/time app that shows on my home screen. At least it's accurate. If I swipe down though, Lenovo Weather is still showing in notifications.

I2k4
802.11n
Views: 5,218
Message 7 of 13

Have you tried Settings / Apps and notifications / Notifications / three dot to Show system.  I have turned off irritating notifications from 8 active apps e.g. Kindle, without affecting their functions.  Since I fully disabled Lenovo Weather can't say if this works for it, but keeps the rest out of the swipe list.

I'd check Security and location / Apps with usage access and make sure LW ain't there either.

Willhound
Paper Tape
Views: 5,206
Message 8 of 13

"Have you tried Settings / Apps and notifications / Notifications / three dot to Show system"

No three dot menu visible. Can't get to system apps it seems. 

I2k4
802.11n
Views: 5,186
Message 9 of 13

A shame.  I'd been thinking well of Lenovo for my ability to delete or disable its preinstalled stuff, but LW seems to be a snooping app it won't let go.  I doubt China's President Xi is watching you from his desk, but still don't like it.  I wouldn't personally try radical removal techniques while under warranty.  Good luck.

HenryZ
802.11n
Views: 5,182
Message 10 of 13

It's not a "radical" technique as it doesn't involve unlocking the bootloader (that would interfere with the warranty). It doesn't even really remove the app, so when you do a factory reset, it's back to normal.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors