Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Haho
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,857
Message 1 of 10

Tab 2 A10 70L - Should I upgrade?

Hi guys, I have a question to ask. Shall I upgrade my tab 2 10 70L to lollipop 5.0? I got the update. I'm worrying because everyone has issues with it. Any thoughts?

Mod's Edit: System model added to front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity.

Guru
Views: 4,809
Message 2 of 10

Re: Should I upgrade?

I have chosen not too as I have not read of nor been convinced of any significant enough improvements vs. the greater risk of loss of functions. v4+ works GREAT for ME, no problerms whatsoever, snappy, quick, cutomizable, etc... Any improvements that I've read for v5+ for Lenovo tablets have been minor or imagined, users just can't be sure of battery or performance enhancements .... YET. I personally will wait to see if Lenovo introduces further upgrades to v5 with stability & real improvements. So, if it isn't broken, I'm not going to try & fix it.

But, if you prefer to be on the bleeding edge & like potential or real problem solving, then give it a try? As you've probably read in the forums, some have decided to go for it, some regretted it. I haven't yet been convinced it's worthwhile & that I'm missing anything. Some/most? v5+ users ARE missing functionality!!

Guru
Views: 4,784
Message 3 of 10

I've used both Android versions on my A10-70F, and while I'd prefer Kitkat in theory, Lollipop is clearly better in practice on this tablet. I'm not missing any functionality, because I've customized several things (root+Xposed+GravityBox). And performance in Android 5 is better, thanks to ART.

I like to use Google Earth from time to time, and it was constantly freezing and crashing in Android 4 on this tablet. Runs flawlessly in Android 5. The recent apps / taskswitch button was also bugged in Android 4.

Just to provide an alternate point of view... Smiley Wink

Guru
Views: 4,781
Message 4 of 10

Yes good to know, but more trouble to get it to work than most folks might be willing to go through, for what should be an EASY upgrade. Glad it works for you though. Besides Google Earth working, what other real benefits are there over v4.4..?

BTW, Google Earth never crashes on my S850F device, OS v4.4.2. Everything just works, though some I don't like & I've disabled lots of apps & installed ones I do like.

Guru
Views: 4,733
Message 5 of 10

It wasn't any trouble to get it to work, it literally worked out of the box for me (my tablet had Lollipop preinstalled).

Just to be clear: Haho is asking about the Tab 2 A10-70L (LTE). I don't have that tablet, but I have the nearly identical Tab 2 A10-70F, the WiFi-only "sister model".

Sure, there are some things in Lollipop that aren't great, like the missing battery percentage display in the top right corner (the percentage is still displayed in the quick settings drawer). But stuff like that can often be changed with Root+Xposed+GravityBox, which I'd be using anyway, regardless if in Android 4 or 5.

Google Earth never crashes on my phone with 4.4.2 either, but it definitely does crash on this tablet with 4.4.4. I've seen other people mention it here in this forum, but it got drowned by all the Lollipop complaints. Smiley Wink

Could be an isolated problem with Google Earth, or potentially an issue with the Kitkat 3D drivers that might also affect other apps such as 3D games...

• Like I said, Lollipop is faster, at least in benchmarks (not everything's perfect, however, the Java Memory Read/Write scores took a dive).
  • Lollipop has fewer unfixed security holes.
  • Also note how in the Kitkat screenshot at the top, the two buttons below "Resources:" are invisible (black on black) - a side effect of Lenovo messing around with the Android theming in Kitkat (changing the default black backgrounds to white, etc.). This happens with several apps; not frequently, but it is an issue. Lenovo didn't try to customize Lollipop this way, which is a plus.
  • Similarly, the Android webview component that many apps use to display content (both local content and actual web content) gets Play Store updates with Lollipop. Not so with Kitkat. Given that web browser code is notorious for having security holes, this too is a plus for Lollipop.
  • Which also brings us to the fact some apps are only available for Lollipop and up, not for Kitkat. Only a few so far, but it's worth mentioning.
  • These tablets (both the A10-70F and the A10-70L) are running a background service called AAL. It screws around with the backlight brightness, which I find objectionable. In Lollipop, AAL also has a noticeable performance impact. That's a negative, of course, but at least it's very easy to disable, no root required, just some know-how. Which makes it a positive. In Kitkat on the other hand, AAL does not appear to have performance issues (good), but the annoying automatic brightness changes exist there as well, and you can not disable them (very bad). If you have root or a custom recovery, then you can disable AAL on Kitkat too, but only because I created a patch for that. Smiley Wink
Haho
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,715
Message 6 of 10

Does it drain battery fast? 

Spoiler
Smiley Very Happy 
Spoiler
Smiley Frustrated
Guru
Views: 4,712
Message 7 of 10

> Does it drain battery fast? 

I don't think so, but I haven't really analyzed battery consumption. 

I have WiFi disabled in standby, which probably saves a bit of battery, and also means that my tablet won't be able to receive web messages etc. while it's in standby. But I don't need that...

Haho
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,709
Message 8 of 10

Thanks for the info.
Highlighted
Haho
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,652
Message 9 of 10

I upgraded. Lollipop is gr8.
KB01
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,463
Message 10 of 10

Does Dolby work with Lollipop,  lot of people are saying the volume is very low.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors