Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LF_tab2
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,080
Message 1 of 7

Tab 2 update problems with chrome & others

The Tab 2 A7-10F has been unstable (requiring a reboot to open some apps, such as Overdrive), so I did a factory reset.  When I reinstalled Chrome, it gave an older version (43.somthing), and when I try to update it, it will download but not install.  Same for Android System webview - dowloads but doesn't install.  Even tried Chrome beta - same result.  I've already tried all the stuff that Google recommends, doesn't work. The tab is running Android 5.0 and it says all my software is up to date.  I'm still having the issue with Overdrive (my library ebook reader) - have to reboot the tablet every time I want it to start correctly or download an ebook.  The tablet is a couple of years old, but I'd be annoyed if I have to get a new one just for this sort of use.

I2k4
802.11n
Views: 1,027
Message 2 of 7

Re: Tab 2 update problems with chrome & others

I have an old Acer tablet (similar specs to yours) still kicking with Android Jellybean (4.3) and it's running current OverDrive 3.7.9 with no problems - I don't think it's your Android version.  JB never had Android System Web View, but my ZTE Lollipop (5.1) phone got an update to that yesterday, again no issues.  Both devices run Chrome.  The steps to take before giving up are to back up your important data, and enter Recovery Mode.  Look up the hardware button sequence for your device, normally power off - then Vol Up + Power On until the Lenovo Logo appears.  There's a text menu:

a) System Partition Cache Wipe (normally does no harm to current installed apps, settings, etc.),

and as a last resort

b) Factory Reset (full wipe of current installation and replacement - might take you back to KitKat.)

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Android-based-Tablets-and/TB-8730F-Failed-Android-update-bricked...

I wouldn't panic unless these fail.

Lenovo Tab4 8 - TB-8504F (ZA2B0009US) - Oreo 8.1
LF_tab2
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,003
Message 3 of 7

I've done the factory reset (twice, actually) - it does come back with Lollipop. Recovery mode is a challenge - my menu is all in Chinese. I can find the EMMC thingy, but it didn't help.  OverDrive is running fine on all my other devices, but on the Tab 2, either syncing or updating (something?) kicks it out and I have to reboot, then re-open it. If I stay in airplane mode, it's not a problem.  I'm more concerned about running the old version of Chrome, given the current concern about malware. The new version downloads, but will not install.

I2k4
802.11n
Views: 995
Message 4 of 7

Very odd.  Seems clear you have a clean system and wifi is working.  I'm personally still using OverDrive, but my library (Toronto Public) has been pushing "Libby, by OverDrive" Android app for a year or so, and it might solve your problem if your library supports it:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.overdrive.mobile.android.libby&hl=en_CA

No idea what's going on with Chrome browser.  There are good alternatives but its integration with Google services makes it hard to do without for many.

Lenovo Tab4 8 - TB-8504F (ZA2B0009US) - Oreo 8.1
Venus2
What's DOS?
Views: 247
Message 5 of 7

For the past few days I kept getting a notification my Chrome was out of date so I attempted to update but it wouldn't install no matter how many times I tried .  When I bought my Lenovo 3-7 Essential tablet it already had McAfee security installed.  Recently I purchased an anti virus called Trend Micro Maximum Security and installed that into my tablet after removing McAfee.  It was after I installed the new anti virus that I seem to have these installation problems.  So I removed it and installed McAfee again from Play Store.  Installations seem to work now.

Tombor
What's DOS?
Views: 235
Message 6 of 7

Thank you, activating McAfee solved the update problem for me as well

Venus2
What's DOS?
Views: 203
Message 7 of 7

See my post below