Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eyeconic1
Paper Tape
Views: 150
Message 1 of 4

Tab 4 10 Plus - Sees but doesn't see SD card

This is the ATT tablet. I inserted a 64gb SDXC card. Formatted it as internal storage. If I go to settings -> storage the 64gb is included in total available and the SD card is listed below Internal shared storage.

However, anything requiring access to the SD Card fails. I did an "#adb shell." There is no SD Card structure. ES file explorer reports that the SD card is unmounted.

Making matters worse, if I eject the SD card and reboot I do not have the original SD card structure in internal storage.

Without being able to root this thing I cannot fix this thing. I have lost my kindle and all of my music. I am now desperate for a solution!

I2k4
802.11n
Views: 132
Message 2 of 4

Re: Tab 4 10 Plus - Sees but doesn't see SD card

You formatted as virtual "internal" and that operates to blur the separation of microSD with the original storage, and you report the file manager showed all your MicroSD had in fact been treated that way, i.e. a) uniquely encrypted for that purpose and no other, and b) integrated with the Android internal system storage.  Doing that, apps can be installed to microSD - not possible if formatted as ordinary "external".  You may have overreacted by pulling the card out and doing whatever - be aware that the "adoptable / internal" encryption makes the microSD completely unreadable in any PC or other device, you use it for expansion on the tablet or have to reformat and wipe everything on it. 

(My own experience with "internal" microSD on another tablet was dodgy and I don't use it - there is a performance hit from the system accessing a slower drive, and many third party apps were never optimized to recognize the microSD and can foul up.  The whole point is to install apps to microSD, but many default to regular internal anyway and it isn't reliably supported.  On the other hand, a user who wants to install a large games or other apps beyond the original 16GB storage will want to at least try it.) 

Given what you did, you may have to do a hard factory reset to put you back to square one. That's likely because a lot of system files were copied to the encrypted microSD, and the tablet may not function properly without it.  After a hard reset you can research and rethink the way you want to use microSD.  I'd suggest using the Recovery Mode (volume + power restart) as the most thorough way to hard reset to Day 1:

https://www.pantallazo.es/en/reset/lenovo-tab-4-10-plus

(I use Kindle app with ordinary external microSD, works fine - I'd guess you can restore whatevery was wiped from Amazon central.  Always best to have full back up of any important documents and media when setting any device up.) 

Lenovo Tab4 8 - TB-8504F (ZA2B0009US) - Oreo 8.1
eyeconic1
Paper Tape
Views: 118
Message 3 of 4

That's what I ended up doing. Notice you are at Oreo. Best I can get is Nougat. Strange.
I2k4
802.11n
Views: 113
Message 4 of 4

Not sure, check here - as I read the intro an ATT contract may not:

https://support.lenovo.com/ca/en/solutions/ht501098

Different models and geographic zones were also on different schedules, if eligible you might get more Nougat updates before Oreo, and then a couple of updates to that.  I'd just connect to internet fairly often.

Lenovo Tab4 8 - TB-8504F (ZA2B0009US) - Oreo 8.1

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors