Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vadek
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,340
Message 1 of 27

Tab 4 8 Plus display dims when there's little to display

I use dark modes where possible. If there's very little to display on a screen in dark mode. my display GOES DARKER! If I turn auto brightness on, the screen will go completely black! The same occurs if, for example, I tap on a sample display in the Play Store which is mostly black. So it's delibrately making a hard-to-read screen HARDER! This is independent of what app I'm using. As long as the display is almost all black, it TURNS BRIGHTNESS DOWN! Stupid.

vadek
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,276
Message 2 of 27

Re: Tab 4 8 Plus display dims when there's little to display

So no-one else has this issue? Maybe I'd better return it to the shop before it's too late.
OpToaster
Paper Tape
Views: 1,243
Message 3 of 27

Yeah I have the same issue, as soon as the screen shows enough solid black it just turns off. If I play the intro to the punisher at the lowest brightness the screen frequently flips between on and off.
vadek
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,229
Message 4 of 27

I'm glad it's not just me, then. With the current fashion for night display settings, you'd think more users would be complaining.

tabuser2
Paper Tape
Views: 1,200
Message 5 of 27

I have same issue but this problem began after Oreo update. Nowadays somekind of dynamic dimming is also pumping screen brightness up and down all the time. It is very annoying especially when watching movies. Before Orea I haven't these problem att all.

Bigmem
Paper Tape
Views: 1,159
Message 6 of 27

How do we get a response from Lenovo? It's similar issue to DPST (Display Power Saving Technology) where the system will dim the screen when it's black. Something in the Oreo build for the Tab 4 8 is playing up. I got mine as a gift and was loving it till the update. I didn't have this dimming on Nougat. And yep auto britness is off and so is addaptive display

vadek
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,025
Message 7 of 27

Watching the Dragon docking with the ISS this morning the display kept dimming to unwatchable due to the blackness of space. I'm going to have to figure out how to report this issue formally without Lenovo getting me to return the device, as it's obviously a software fault.

vadek
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,019
Message 8 of 27

Spent ages completing a problem report form and clicked Submit. It's just sitting there with a spinning circle of dots. Terrific. I will never, ever, buy another Lenovo product. This is a solemn promise.

tabuser2
Paper Tape
Views: 1,011
Message 9 of 27

After downgrade operation display works normally. So yes, the Oreo update was the problem. Now I have firmware TB-8704F_S000037_180906_ROW.

Hope this helps someone, mine Levono is now fixed.

vadek
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,003
Message 10 of 27

Hmm. My Tab4 is on TB-8704F_S001011_181108_ROW. I don't think there's any way to downgrade it, even with a factory reset. Not that I want to, as I'm fed up of setting up Android devices from scratch. I'll have another go at reporting the bug using Firefox on a Linux distro instead of Windows 10. That might work.

Moderator comment: Post edited to conform with the Community Rules. Keep it clean.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors