Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SP4000
Paper Tape
Views: 1,221
Message 1 of 9

Tab 4 Home Assistant problems

Anyone else having problems getting the Tab 4 Home Assistant speaker to work?

I've just bought a Tab 4 8 Plus that came bundled with the speaker. When I dock the tablet, the light ring on the speaker flashes red three times, then the Lenovo Alexa app either says it can't connect to a server, or it freezes while saying "wake word disabled", or the tablet crashes and restarts.

I'm running Android 8.1 and all apps are up to date. The Lenovo Alexa app works when not docked.

GeordieHOG
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,136
Message 2 of 9

Re: Tab 4 Home Assistant problems

I'm having exactly the same issue! It seemed to be working immediately after I updated my Tab 4 8 Plus to Oreo, but now it doesn't work anymore. Lenovo please help. Mine is also a brand new tablet and Home Assistant. I also bought the Tab 4 10 Plus model for my wife. Thinking of returning that as it apparently won't get the OREO update and my experience with my own Tab 4 8 Plus and the Home Assistant Dock has been disastrous so far.

GeordieHOG
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,128
Message 3 of 9

Quick update. As I hadn't installed much onto my tablet I just decided to do a full factory reset. The Home Assistant now appears to be working again. Let's see how long for! I will update in the forum again if it stops working again.
neteditor
Paper Tape
Views: 1,123
Message 4 of 9

Bought the same set up today and I am having similar issues.

GeordieHOG
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,120
Message 5 of 9

….Well my success reported in my previous post didn't last long. After trying the complete factory reset on my Tab4 8 Plus, the Lenovo Alexa app worked for a while, but then started experiencing the same problems again. I am having several random issues whenever connected to the dock:-

1) Message saying "Could not connect to the Amazon server"
2) Random system re-boots
3) Screen randomly rotates by itself
4) "Wake Word disabled" message at bottom of display

In other words it is completely useless and unusable with the Home Assistant dock.

Lenovo - please fix this issue ASAP!
GeordieHOG
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,067
Message 6 of 9

I've done some experimenting and think the issue MIGHT be caused by a conflict between "Google Assistant" app and the "Lenovo Alexa" app.

Try this...from a cold boot (restart or Power off), dock the Tablet. Lenovo Alexa app should start automatically and Alexa works fine. Then open Google Assistant and the system will start behaving eratically and slowly, Lenovo Alexa will no longer recognise the Alexa wake word and Google assistant will stop responding. Eventually the system will reboot by itself.

Clearly, there is a compatibility problem between these two apps but I haven't found a way to fix this yet.

I would be interested to know if it affects all Tab4 models or just the Tab4 8 Plus. I am using the latest Oreo 8.1 firmware. Does it affect Nougat 7.1.1 the same way.

I now wish I'd tested the dock before I allowed the system to upgrade to the OREA firmware OTA. It isn't possible to roll back the firmware as Lenovo don't provide any legacy firmware on their site.

@Lenovo please sort this out!
Highlighted
GeordieHOG
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,057
Message 7 of 9

I think I found a partial / temporary fix for this issue!

Go to
<Settings>
<Google>
<Search, Assistant & Voice>
<Voice>
<Voice Match>
<Access with Voice Match> - now disable this setting!

Now when you plug the Tablet into the dock the Lenovo Alexa Assistant should work. However obviously Google Assistant will no longer start up by saying "OK Google" anymore, but you can still access content by clicking on the "Google" app and typing in the search box.

The other alternative is to simply uninstall the Lenovo Alexa App (you must reboot the device after doing this as the Alexa Icon remains on the desktop, but not functional until you reboot). Now you can set up Google Assistant to work with the "OK Google" command (many people think Google Assistant is better than Amazon Alexa anyway). You won't now be able to use Lenovo Alexa, but if you install Amazon Music you can still use Alexa from within he Amazon Music App.

I hope this helps until Lenovo sort out this bug of incompatibility between the Lenovo Alexa app and Google Assistant. Surely they should both be able to share the same Docking station speaker and Microphone? The wake words are different so in theory saying "OK Google" should start Google Assistant , while saying "Alexa" should start Alexa.

Hope this helps someone!

SP4000
Paper Tape
Views: 1,042
Message 8 of 9

Hi GeordieHOG. Thanks for identifying the root cause and finding a workaround - really helpful.

I've disabled Google Voice recognition as you described. I had to restart the tablet, but afterwards the speaker doc and Lenovo Alexa worked normally.

techhowgirl
Paper Tape
Views: 837
Message 9 of 9

This works.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors