cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lynwlms
Paper Tape
Views: 394
Message 1 of 13

Tab E10 - Half of 16GB is already being used!

Hi all!  Am new here and getting very frustrated with my new tablet.  Only had it 5 days and ready to toss it. lol.  I've already got 8.47GB used and have only added 1 app (Angry Birds).  So I got a micro SD card, 64GB.  Formatted it, set it up to only use in tablet....and I'm not able to move anything to it.  I guess I'm kinda slow on this one...can someone walk me thru this.  I "thought" I'd move my photos to the SD card, but for some reason am not able to do that.  On one of the videos I watched I think it said I couldn't move anything that was not done on this tablet?  I may have misunderstood.  

Any help or advise?

Thanks!

Lynn

AkiraKitsune
Paper Tape
Views: 380
Message 2 of 13

Re: Tab E10 - Half of 16GB is already being used!

There isn't much you can really do i'm afraid if its android 8.1.

android itself is a reasonably big operating system, 16 Gigabytes isn't alot of space for storing files.

the only options i can think about are either, contact lenovo to see if you can get a storage upgrade (not sure if thats even possible with those specs), or see if you can get a "Trade-in" for a different product from lenovo.

-I'm new here so I don't know that much about Lenovo's services yet

lynwlms
Paper Tape
Views: 329
Message 3 of 13

Any idea how to move my photos over to the sd card?

Lynn

I2k4
802.11n
Views: 310
Message 4 of 13

You haven't really described what you did already.  Looking up your tablet it seems be Android Oreo with similar specs to mine.  Start simple:  what do you see opening Android Settings / Storage?  20190829_140244.jpg

Is the card shown? If so, did you format it as ordinary "portable" / "external", or as virtual "internal" / "adoptable" - that makes a big difference to how the microSD is recognized and its functionality.  If you tap the SD Card in above Settings screen, and tap the three dots upper right, you'll find controls to redo or choose the other format.  20190829_140525.jpg

Lenovo Tab4 8 - TB-8504F (ZA2B0009US) - Oreo 8.1
lynwlms
Paper Tape
Views: 294
Message 5 of 13

Yup, that's exactly what I see.  And I formatted it as internal I think it said.  Whichever option to use it just with the tablet.  And it's running Android Pie.  I open up my Photos, put check mark and I don't have the option to move them to sd card.  I downloaded File Manager off the Play Store and try to do it that way, but all I can get to are the images I've just gotten off of Zedge.  It won't let me even get to my Photos.  I figured photos would be a good option to the sd card as I seem to have alot of them.

Lynn

I2k4
802.11n
Views: 289
Message 6 of 13

Because you formatted as "internal" Android installed system files onto the microSD, uniquely encrypted it, and pretends that the device has only one storage, combining the remaining true internal drive with the capacity of the microSD.  The pro is that along with media, apps can be installed on this unified single storage.  The downsides can be, depending on your device and apps you use, there may be a performance hit from continually reading / writing the slower and strongly encrypted microSD, some apps are not optimized for it so may send error messages, the system will tend to use up "real" internal before the microSD, and the microSD cannot be removed and read in other devices - if the tablet fails the data on it is lost.  All that said, you do have all the storage capacity, but it isn't showing up as a separate drive in apps or possibly some file managers. 

If, for example, you have a folder of images you want to transfer to the tablet, you should be able to either connect to a PC, connect to an ordinary thumb drive, using cables, or download from cloud storage onto the unified "internal" storage without worrying which is the microSD or your 16GB limit.  The user manual can probably guide you, but if there's trouble carry on here.

lynwlms
Paper Tape
Views: 281
Message 7 of 13

Should I have formatted it as "portable"?

So I'm reading there's no way for me to get my pics to the sd card, am I understanding correctly?

It is showing 80GB of storage, so it is recognizing the card.  

Thanks for your help!

Lynn

I2k4
802.11n
Views: 270
Message 8 of 13

As I wrote, you should not have any trouble moving photos or any media or documents to the 80GB of "internal" storage you've set up.  Not sure how you're trying to do it (?) If you can't get the pics into the "internal" storage, you should describe exactly what you're doing and what the tablet does when you try

A couple of years ago I tried "internal" and was disappointed with the problems I listed, but it generally "works".   I personally prefer "portable" because my own use case doesn't require installing apps to the microSD - 16GB for all apps is plenty for me, and I can move nearly everything else to the separate, portable microSD card.  (You'll notice from the screenshots I installed a fresh "portable" 32GB microSD recently so it's only very lightly loaded - I'll add large offline maps, music, photos, videos, later.)  

lynwlms
Paper Tape
Views: 246
Message 9 of 13

One way I've tried is to open Photos, select pics (yes, they have checkmarks).  3 dots top right and the only option is "Move to Archive".

I've also tried going into File Manager.  There are only 9 options that come up as far as where I can get files from.  Images, Documents, Compress, Audios, Apps, Favorites, Videos, Downloads and Recycle Bin.  The images file only contains images I've just downloaded from Zedge since getting this tablet.  No where in the File Manager can I access my Photos.  If I click search, it takes me to Internal Storage where there's only 13 files visible.  The DCIM folder does have a thumbnails sub folder, but it's empty.  The Pictures folder has a sub screenshots, but it is also empty.  The Zedge folder does have the wallpaper I've just downloaded within the past few days.  There is the option to Create folder or Create text file.  When I select Recent File in the File Manager, all that comes up are the wallpapers from Zedge.

This should be so easy to do! lol

Lynn

I2k4
802.11n
Views: 237
Message 10 of 13

It sounds as though you have, or believe you have, already got a lot of photos on the tablet.  If that's so, they should be showing up in a good file manager and should be scanned by any photo gallery app.  You should also be able to shoot a photo or two with the built in camera and that should go to DCIM, along with using the built in Screenshots tool.  I had thought the problem was moving a lot of pics from a PC or other device to the tablet, that aren't on it now.  Maybe that's not the case.

Unfortunately, a) I don't have your tablet model, and b) for years on Day 1 I've deleted or disabled all preinstalled camera, file manager, image and media apps and replaced them with my preferences, including the same launcher, so my Lenovo tablet, ZTE phone, an older Acer tablet, and every new Android gets the same, I'm instantly happy and never have to learn. Somebody else may know much better than me about the Lenovo bult-in apps.

But just for you, and from curiousity, I temporarily enabled the built in Lenovo File Manager, a square orange icon (?)  It opens in Simple Mode (black bottom bar).  What Simple Mode does not seem to allow is selection and copy/paste of folders - Simple Mode seems restricted to individual files with "Select All" then copy / paste possible for them.  I press Pro Mode on the bottom black bar.  In the Pro Mode a left side nav bar appears, and list of folders shows in the large right section.

. Long tapping a folder turns it blue and brings up a new bottom tool bar with "Copy" for the selected folder. 

. Pressing "Copy" changes the bottom bar to show "Paste" and you can navigate anywhere else to Paste the folder.  

BE CAREFUL:  I'm guessing Simple Mode prevents changing the built-in folder structure because that can have bad system effects.  You can usually add / remove / relocate your own folders where you like, but bad news to delete or relocate a basic Android / Lenovo folder.

Hope this helps.  I'll keep the Lenovo file manager active for a while in case there's more to it.  I personally like a dual pane file manager for this sort of thing, currently X-plore (Lonely Cat) free in the Play Store.  I'm also unfamiliar with Lenovo / Google Photo apps, but it's surprising they don't immediately find your pics if they are there.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors