Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jetlink
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,454
Message 1 of 55

Tab4 8 Problems with 8.1 Oreo update

My Tab4 8 was working fine prior to the 8.1 Oreo update except for I couldn't get it to show up on my laptop when I plugged it up.  I have two identical Tab4 8's and the other one would connect to the same laptop just fine so I know the laptop wasn't the issue.  I updated the problem tablet hoping that would solve the issue, it did and now it connects to my laptop just fine but the update created more issues.

- My 64gb Sandisk microsd card won't show up in the tablet file manager.  I know it's not the card because it worked fine before and works fine in the other tablet.  I've re-formatted and still nothing.

- Bluetooth connectivity is intermittent and wasn't before.

- The weirdest problem of all, ES File Explorer keeps disappering from the tablet after a while.  I'll install it and it will work for a while but then disappears.  I go to the All Apps List and it doesn't show up there.  Then I go to the Google Play Store and search for it, when I click on it the options are to Uninstall or Enable.  If I click Enabled the Play Store shuts down.

On top of all of this, the tablet isn't as snappy as it use to be.  Something is bogging it down now where it wasn't before.

Both of my tablets are still under warranty and I want the updated one downgraded ASAP.  Anyone know where I can download the stock firmware or am I going to have to ship this thing to Lenovo?

I2k4
802.11n
Views: 5,389
Message 2 of 55

Re: Tab4 8 Problems with 8.1 Oreo update

I briefly had an SD card recognition problem after the Oreo update (card formatted as ordinary "portable storage" not virtual internal storage) but went away after shutting down, opening the trap door and extracting / reinserting the card.  As for the rest, every major Android update as well as regular tablet use creates a ton of useless temp and residual files in a system partition - after several reboots, I use the Recovery Mode / Cache Wipe to get rid of it - it generally cures sluggishness:

https://goo.gl/SVM4JZ

That should not affect installed apps or configuration of the tablet, but always best to have important stuff backed up.  I'd be trying these things before deciding something is radically wrong.  (For the record, the Oreo update is smaller, faster and fixed some wifi recognition problems my tablet was having with Nougat, no software compatibility issues and battery life is just as good as Nougat's - I'm happy with it.)

Lenovo Tab4 8 - TB-8504F (ZA2B0009US) - Oreo 8.1
Jetlink
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,366
Message 3 of 55

Thanks for the reply.  I have tried everything you have listed here with no change at all to the problems i'm having.

Wiznoodle
802.11n
Views: 5,285
Message 4 of 55

You'll find the original firmware here:

http://lenovo-forums.ru/forum/799-lenovo-tab4-a8-plus-proshivki/

Depending on the model use the one pinned at the top that doesn't have ota in front of it. The ota isn't complete. So you'll need s000024 or s000026. ( For tab4 8 models . Confirm your model number! )

The firmware package is downloaded to your pc. Unzip it to the desktop. In the unzipped folder you will find the firmware, the flashing tool, and instructions. 

If you have trouble flashing with the flashing tool in the package, you can use xiaomi's miflash tool. I personally use miflash. The older versions of the tool work best. Link is below. If you use miflash, check the flash all box at the bottom of the tool before clicking on flash.  Use at your discretion. 

http://en.miui.com/thread-345974-1-1.html

FLASHING BACK TO STOCK USING EITHER ONE OF THESE TOOLS WILL WIPE EVERYTHING ON THE DEVICE, INCLUDING INTERNAL STORAGE. 

After flashing the stock image, the device will update. Mine updated to s000042, before offering the oreo update. After updating to s000042 go to settings and turn off auto update, or it will update to oreo. 

My device is tab4 8 plus lte. Any questions ask before you start. 

Jetlink
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,245
Message 5 of 55

Thanks for the info.  The one I have is the Tab4 8 wifi only version (not Plus or LTE) so I'm guessing I would need the second one from the bottom on this page.  S000029  ???

http://lenovo-forums.ru/forum/795-lenovo-tab4-a8-proshivki/

Wiznoodle
802.11n
Views: 5,240
Message 6 of 55

Correct if you have model number 8504f.  Just to be sure, verify it in the settings. 

Settings / about tablet. 

Jetlink
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,217
Message 7 of 55

Yes it is the TB-8504F.

Thanks again. Going to give this a shot tonight.
Jetlink
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,207
Message 8 of 55

I didn't see any instructions in the zip file.  Should I just try to translate and muddle through the russian site or would you happen to have some better instructions?  Thanks.

Wiznoodle
802.11n
Views: 5,197
Message 9 of 55

Are you sure? Maybe in the driver folder? Russian doesn't translate to english well. You're better off just getting information on xda. But if you're willing to use miflash, which I think is easier anyway, I'll make you a little photo tutorial. 

Hopefully you found it and was successful. 

Jetlink
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,194
Message 10 of 55

Yeah I was looking through the Zip file and didn't see any sort of document file.  Then when I tried to unzip it I got an error and nothing unzipped.  Looks like I'll have to download it again.

What's the difference in the two installers?  I guess they both accomplish the same task?  

I'd be glad for you to make a tutorial if you have time.  Thanks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors