Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I2k4
802.11n
Views: 3,148
Message 1 of 25

Tab4 8 now has Android 8.1

Mine is the US model, US Amazon imported to Canada.  Checked Settings about 11:00 p.m. EST and there it was.  Descriptive note indicates some Lenovo changes along with the Android version upgrade - total download about 1.5GB.  Caution that it's wise to attach external power:  the install process stalls if battery goes below 30%, can only be resumed when that level is restored.  Seems to have installed cleanly.  

On quick inspection Oreo is snappy, UI changes are okay but some icons changed. My installed apps, data including microSD, and settings were respected.  Lenovo included two unwanted games Iuninstalled) and its pesky unwanted Lenovo Weather app with constant notification clogger (disabled).  

Update to the comments below: I just left microSD (portable not adoptable storage) inserted during the upgrade, and now tried VLC, cam and image apps, OSMAnd+, etc. all working fine.  Re "Lenovo Weather", it's a "system" app and can only be disabled right-swiping the notification - I can't recall if AccuWeather was also preinstalled, if so it was uninstalled way back.

Lenovo Tab4 8 - TB-8504F (ZA2B0009US) - Oreo 8.1
Cvm
Paper Tape
Views: 3,086
Message 2 of 25

Re: Tab4 8 now has Android 8.1

Mine also has just got it.

karthikdgr8
Paper Tape
Views: 3,078
Message 3 of 25

I am kinda panicking but after the update only stock google apps are able to access media from my external microSD card . VLC or PowerAMP cannot access video and audio files respectively nor can they see my sd card file structure . My SD Card is in portable mode same as before and yes already have factory reset my Tab . Is this usual behaviour of all Oreo devices or is it a Lenovo bug ? Don't know coz my phone running on Pie has no external SD slot . Is there any workaround ?

karthikdgr8
Paper Tape
Views: 3,059
Message 4 of 25

@karthikdgr8 wrote:

I am kinda panicking but after the update only stock google apps are able to access media from my external microSD card . VLC or PowerAMP cannot access video and audio files respectively nor can they see my sd card file structure . My SD Card is in portable mode same as before and yes already have factory reset my Tab . Is this usual behaviour of all Oreo devices or is it a Lenovo bug ? Don't know coz my phone running on Pie has no external SD slot . Is there any workaround ?

Solved it by backing up and formatting SD card in tab itself instead of PC . Started working like before !

Blonkythorpe
SCSI Port
Views: 3,038
Message 5 of 25

The only annoying problem I've found so far is that some apps ignore some of my settings until I go back and mess with them them again. For example. I started getting notification sounds for Twitter which I had turned off (I wanted them silent). I had to turn off the notification settings (in 8.1's new notification settings) and turn them back on for each option to fix this. Another one I ran into was Gboard's vibrate on key press used default settings until I went in and changed it, too (it showed my settings, it just wasn't using it).

Wssfisio
Paper Tape
Views: 3,020
Message 6 of 25

After update i got a interf sist stopped each time i connect tablet to charger.Anyone else?

Blonkythorpe
SCSI Port
Views: 3,000
Message 7 of 25

BTW you can completely disable the AccuWeather app in settings, you just need to have "show system" enabled to list it with the other apps

Lenofo_pic
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,962
Message 8 of 25

After the update the sound is too loud even at the lowest! (testet dolby on/off)

Does somebody else has this problem? And the vibration gets turned off (gboard) after restart

HenryZ
802.11n
Views: 2,942
Message 9 of 25

As I wrote in the thread for the 8 Plus: open the Dolby Atmos app and deactivate volume leveler, that will make the volume levels like they were before.
Lenofo_pic
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,906
Message 10 of 25

@HenryZ wrote:
As I wrote in the thread for the 8 Plus: open the Dolby Atmos app and deactivate volume leveler, that will make the volume levels like they were before.

Unfortunately still too loud for the lowest (but only when listening to music,hmm). On nougat with dolby app completely deactivated it was perfect before Smiley Sad 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors