Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sotho
Paper Tape
Views: 1,477
Message 1 of 10

Transferring files larger than 4gb to Lenovo Tab 4 10 Plus

Hi, I have a quick question - is it possible to transfer files larger than 4gb to the tablet's (Lenovo Tab 4 10 Plus) internal harddrive from a computer? I've understood that you can't do that if you're using an external SD card (due to the fat32 file system being required), but I'm not sure whether it also applies to the internal drive? Thanks.
Highlighted
HenryZ
802.11n
Views: 1,460
Message 2 of 10

Re: Transferring files larger than 4gb to Lenovo Tab 4 10 Plus

The file system used on the SD card is exFAT if you're using 64 GB cards and above. The tablet officially supports cards up to 128 GB so it has support for these type of cards (SDXC).
sotho
Paper Tape
Views: 1,454
Message 3 of 10

Not sure if you understood my question. So if I buy a Lenovo Tab 4 with 64gb+ internal storage I will be able to transfer files larger than 4gb to its drive because it will be exFAT? Sorry if I read your answer wrong.

I'm looking to buy this tablet, but the inability to transfer files larger than 4gb is a problem.
HenryZ
802.11n
Views: 1,447
Message 4 of 10

If you're using the internal storage of the device the capacity doesn't matter - you won't run into trouble regarding file size restrictions. I think you may have gotten the FAT32 issue from the fact that SD cards of 32 GB and smaller use that file system (and it has indeed such a size restriction), but like I said SDXC cards as well as internal storage uses a different file system where there either are no limits or they are way bigger than the capacity of the entire storage.
sotho
Paper Tape
Views: 1,428
Message 5 of 10

Ok, I see. Reason I'm asking is that apparently these tablets only recognize FAT32 for external SDs (since Lenovo didn't buy the license for exFAT or NTFS) so you have to reformat them to FAT32 in order to use them and hence the size restriction. But if that doesn't apply to the internal storage - then I'm good.
HenryZ
802.11n
Views: 1,401
Message 6 of 10

I just told you that this is not true, the tablet supports exFAT for SD cards because it can accept cards of 128 GB capacity and those are exFAT by definition.
yun33
What's DOS?
Views: 1,383
Message 7 of 10

Hi There,
Which version of Android is your tablet running?
Thanks,
T
netia
Core Memory
Views: 1,322
Message 8 of 10

@sotho posted correct info and ... it is you who is wrong, @ HenryZ.

I happen to use 128 GB external SD card in my Lenovo Tab 3 Plus.

Despite the card being originally delievered with exFat - the first thing my tablet did with it (upon mounting) was REFORMATING it into Fat32 !   Smiley LOL

sotho
Paper Tape
Views: 1,315
Message 9 of 10

Did you try to reformat the card as internal storage? Then the file sizes won't be a problem, I suppose?
HenryZ
802.11n
Views: 1,301
Message 10 of 10

@netia

Thanks for pointing that out! A quick research shows that you're not the only one having experienced this so I believe you. Lenovo is clearly deceiving its customers with this as supporting SDXC cards means also having to support exFAT because according to the specification of SDXC cards that is the only file system they use.

My opinion on Lenovo is even lower now and sorry to the OP for having guided you in the wrong direction.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors