Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dsilinski
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,720
Message 1 of 132

WiFi issue with Tab 4 8 Plus

Hello, this weekend I purchased a Lenovo Tab 4 8 Plus. I love the tablet, but I seem to be having an issue with WiFi that is driving me insane.

The tablet connects to my WiFi, and internet will work for a few minutes, but shortly thereafter the internet will stop working (although the tablet will stay connected to the WiFi network). After a while I'll get the "X" symbol next to the WiFi icon. Disconnecting and reconnecting will get internet working again, but after a few minutes the same thing happens. The tablet is running Android 7.1.1 with the latest update installed.

I'm currently using the Google WiFi mesh router. I have no issues with any other device on my network. I've done restarts of the network and that seemed to help yesterday, but when I did it today it didn't fix it.

I want to get this working as I really like the tablet otherwise and don't want to return it. Has anyone else run into this and if so, are there any fixes?

chumbalum
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,540
Message 2 of 132

Re: WiFi issue with Tab 4 8 Plus

I'm having the same issue but not that bad. Sometimes the wifi hicks up and is not working anymore. Toggle wifi off/on does solve the issue for some time. I'm running build S000037. That build did bring some annoying issues (touchscreen glitch for example) . Hope there will be an update in the near future

dsilinski
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,529
Message 3 of 132

After doing some digging it seems to be an issue connecting to 5ghz WiFi networks vs. 2.4ghz. It works fine on 2.4, but not on 5. 

Unfortunately, Google removed the ability to select your WiFi band on your device in Nougat. I am also running Google WiFi routers which only gives a single SSID, so I have no way of connecting to 2.4ghz specifically.

Lenovo, please roll out a fix on this ASAP!

HenryZ
802.11n
Views: 13,513
Message 4 of 132

I think you might not be on the latest update though. On reddit you wrote that you had this issue also with the firmware with December security patch level.

You wrote you updated to the latest version, made a factory reset and then were on the December version. But that means you couldn't have really been on the latest version after all, which is the January version, because a reset doesn't also reset the firmware, it stays exactly the same than before the reset. So if your were on December after the reset, it means you didn't update to the latest version in the first place.

This is important because it means that the January update didn't cause the problems for you. If the update did cause them for everybody else, which I don't think is for certain at this point, it could also be that your router is the source of the problem and not the tablet because I don't recall anyone mentioning those kind of problems before the latest update.
dsilinski
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,506
Message 5 of 132

I think you are confusing me for someone else. I haven't posted this on reddit. Also, I just got this tablet over the weekend and it immediately updated to the latest version and that's when the problems happened (I had no issues during initial setup or right after, only after updating).

It also seems to be related to this bug:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Android-based-Tablets-and/Downgrade-firmware-Lenovo-Tab-4-10-Plu...

HenryZ
802.11n
Views: 13,500
Message 6 of 132

Oh wow what a coincidence, sorry then! There was a guy on reddit just a few days ago that is also having issues with this tablet in combination with a Google router and I kind of directed him to this board so I figured you must be the same person. Looks like those Google routers are far more popular than I thought.
dsilinski
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,496
Message 7 of 132

No problem. Just curious, what subreddit did they post to? Is there one specific to Lenovo tablets/devices?

HenryZ
802.11n
Views: 13,492
Message 8 of 132

dsilinski
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,474
Message 9 of 132

Ok, so I think I may have found a solution. I am not using a SIM card with the tablet, but I didn't disable the radio. However, I put the tablet into airplane mode and then manually enabled the WiFi, and since then I have been able to stay connected to my 5ghz WiFi network.

If something changes I will update, but for now this looks like it could be a fix.

pkderm
Paper Tape
Views: 13,396
Message 10 of 132

I have the exact same issue. Have had the tablet for a month. I thought it might be something related to my router, even though I have 2 lenovo laptops and 2 moto phones that have no problem. But then I went to NYC this weekend and had the same issue on wifi on both the bus and in the hotel. So this has to be tablet problem. I keep it on airplane at home or otherwise it switches to lte and I don't notice when internet drops on wifi. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors