Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tom_MI
Punch Card
Views: 863
Message 61 of 132

Re: WiFi issue with Tab 4 8 Plus

Chr0mium... for sure if your AC router has 1 name for 2.4 & 5g, it'll switch right in the middle of a speed test, back to 5g, and die. Mine is still going strong, with a dedicated 5g N network.

chr0mium
Fanfold Paper
Views: 822
Message 62 of 132

@Tom_MI wrote:

Chr0mium... for sure if your AC router has 1 name for 2.4 & 5g, it'll switch right in the middle of a speed test, back to 5g, and die. Mine is still going strong, with a dedicated 5g N network.

I have 2 different names, but it still switched.

I've told the tablet to forget the 5 GHz network now.

I don't want to switch off AC because that will slow down all my other devices

Tom_MI
Punch Card
Views: 803
Message 63 of 132

@Chr0mium.  That's also a Good solution. Sadly most of the newer Mesh WiFi, like Google, do not have the option for separate names. 

Hopefully when Oreo is released, this will be fixed. But it's not like there are a lot of tablet choices, if you want one scheduled for a current update. Pretty sure I even saw one at Micro Center still on Kit Kat. 

Sikdirlenovo
Paper Tape
Views: 798
Message 64 of 132

A good choice is the Huawei M3 or the M5
kdg1955
Fanfold Paper
Views: 756
Message 65 of 132

@Tom. Thanks for your testing.

But just like 5GHz, we can only manage the WIFI protocol if we have access to the router. What if we use WIFI on an airport, railway station, shopping mall ...?

To my knowledge, the AC can not be disabled on the client side (tablet, smartphone) and I have not found any app that make this possible. Not even as root.

And that is why we must continue to hope that Lenovo will come up with a solution.

Tom_MI
Punch Card
Views: 741
Message 66 of 132

True. For sure no control over public WiFi. I would imagine most are 2.4 GHz though, since that travels better. I see Xfinity WiFi from a neighbor, and that's 2.4. But also hoping issue is remedied. 

TA5
Paper Tape
Views: 719
Message 67 of 132

Seems it really is 5Ghz AC only that stops working. But what now?

No matter which firmware I use, the problem still exists...

Tom_MI
Punch Card
Views: 707
Message 68 of 132

If your router allows separate names for 2.4 & 5 Ghz, that's the best option for now,

so you specifically just join 2.4. Most are configured with one name by default .

TA5
Paper Tape
Views: 702
Message 69 of 132

Thank you for this advice, I will try this. But I am pretty disappointed that this issue hasn't been fixed yet. The product page says 5Ghz AC is supported. I contacted the support regarding this issue. 

Tom_MI
Punch Card
Views: 689
Message 70 of 132

Yeah I contacted support too. They suggested best thing was to leave feedback about the issue.

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/

Click Orange button that appears, near bottom right for Feedback.

From what I've read, an update broke the AC wireless, so hopefully the next one will fix it.

This is what I submitted for my feedback:

The Lenovo Tab 4 8 Plus & Tab 4 10 Plus, both have MAJOR issues with the 5 GHz AC WiFi. There are many discussions in the Forums. This was working originally, but was broken in an update.  If your router does not allow a separate name for the 2.4/5 GHz bands, you are out of luck, and your tablet is unusable, as it will disconnect within seconds... as soon as it switches to 5 GHz. (Using Google WiFi for example) PLEASE provide a fix as soon as possible. As a side note, a 5 GHz N connection works fine.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors