Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TA5
Paper Tape
Views: 1,178
Message 71 of 133

Re: WiFi issue with Tab 4 8 Plus

Okay, I've left some feedback too.

You wrote that the tablet disconnects within seconds?
In my case the connection is stable (or at least the tablet says so) but datatransfer stops working.
Tom_MI
Punch Card
Views: 1,175
Message 72 of 133

Try to run SpeedTest. If I connect to my Google WiFi... every time I tried, it died right in the middle of the test. (seconds)  I'd be hooked up to the 2.4 GHz band, and it would automatically switch over to 5 GHz, and lose the connection.

Since I re-implemented by Airport Express (which is not AC capable) as an offshoot of the GWF, my 5 GHz connection is perfect.

AnuMew
Fanfold Paper
Views: 993
Message 73 of 133

I'm experiencing the same wifi issue too (on both 5 and 2.4Ghz). I only got my tablet (Tab 4 8 plus WiFi only) about 10 days ago so the system was up to date (with May 18 update). The WiFi disconnecting was so bad I have had to roll the ROM back to an earlier one (Nov 17 update - as I thought people started having the problem after the Feb 18 update). It's been only for a few hours but so far it looks a wee bit better.... Still, this isn't ideal and I wouldn't call it a solution. I really hope Lenovo sort this problem out as a matter of urgency. This is totally unacceptable. 

pkderm
Paper Tape
Views: 978
Message 74 of 133

I was asked a question on Amazon (where I purchased mine) whether the Tab 4 8 worked with both 2.4 and 5. I responded that it didn't and referred to this forum. Interestingly, the seller responded with the following:

The Lenovo ZA2B0009US has a wireless connectivity of 2.4 GHz, 802.11b/g/n. It does not run on dual-band router. For more information, visit our website, store.cidrep.com, for details on this product. Thank you.
I didn't find anything at the link that said this.
I am also wondering if anyone has received an upgrade to Android 8, which might resolve this issue. Even my last security update is from December and when I check for updates it says there are none.

fl5x
Fanfold Paper
Views: 942
Message 75 of 133

pkderm I believe that Tab 4 8 just work with 2.4 GHz. Tab 4 8 plus is "supposed" to work with both 2.4 and 5 GHz.

Tom_MI
Punch Card
Views: 910
Message 76 of 133

Pkderm... Tab 4 does not support AC wireless, has lower resolution screen & only quad-core processor. It also doesn't have fingerprint option.  I tried one from Micro Center, and much prefer the higher resolution of the Plus... Now if we could only get the 5GHz WiFi fixed on the Plus. It should be noted, no WiFi issues with normal Tab 4 though, as it's related to the AC band. 

Wiznoodle
802.11n
Views: 824
Message 77 of 133

I checked my router, my tab4 8 plus is connected to 5 ghz and running without issues after I installed the last update. ( 8704x with s000041 ROW security april 1, 2018) 

Edited to add: I don't think it matters but I did do a data wipe prior to flashing my update. My tablet is rooted, has twrp recovery flashed, and debloated 1 gb of garbage from the system folder.  

fl5x
Fanfold Paper
Views: 762
Message 78 of 133

Wiznoodle it may matter. Could you give us more detail about what you did? I also installed that update and I'm still experiencing the same wifi issue on both 5 and 2.4Ghz.

Wiznoodle
802.11n
Views: 715
Message 79 of 133

Because my tablet was rooted, had a custom recovery installed,  and the system partition was changed ( I removed a bunch of pre installed apps from the system) I could no longer receive OTA updates.  When the s000038 update was released I had to restore my tablet back to factory specs. I used a backup I had made prior to changing the system partition and root. The backup was made in the custom recovery (twrp)

the restore process involved a factory reset/ data wipe. Then installing the backup. When the backup is complete the tablet is back to factory specs- inciuding the removal of the custom recovery, replacing it with the stock recovery ( needed for the update to flash without aborting ). I didn't restore my data. At this point, I setup the tablet as a new device, instead of the first option of restoring from another device.   The tablet then notifies you the update is available for downloading and installation. Which I did. 

When it's completed the update:  the tablet boots up with the update installed, an unchanged system( as everything has been reinstalled in the system partition), stock recovery, unrooted, and now accepting OTAs again. You could leave it as is... 

At which point I used the custom recovery to made a new backup, s000038, and started my root process all over again, to delete those apps in the system all over again... 😊 When the next update comes I'll do the restore all over again, this time using s000041, as we had another after s000038.. 

The process to install the custom recovery requires the bootloader to be unlocked first. This wipes data. A tutorial is available if you're interested. 

Root is not required for anything I just described including using the recovery and restoration. Root is only needed to remove the apps from the system folder. It can be done after everything else or not done at all. I mentioned it only because I already had it when the update came. 

A couple things to note about the factory reset/ data wipe..it removes user installed apps AND pre installed apps that were not placed in the system partition. When you restore, if you don't restore data, anything lenovo installed as a user app is gone. The user assistant is the only thing I remember loosing. But there could of been something else I didn't care about. ( Office type apps possibly?)

If you already have s000041 installed you obviously won't be able to make the backup you need. You can use mine, if interested. It contains no personal data. It's strictly an untouched version of the system partition. 

Sorry about the long post, but I don't know your level of experience. So I wanted to explain somewhat thoroughly. It's somewhat involved. And not even guaranteed to fix your wifi. But my wifi is fixed from the s000038 update. 

Wiznoodle
802.11n
Views: 650
Message 80 of 133

If you have rooted with magisk... a couple people say they have gotten results using this module.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=75628569&postcount=1

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors