Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AJL127
Paper Tape
Views: 1,294
Message 1 of 7

2 Finger Swiping for Scrolling Not Working All of the Sudden

I have a G510 running Windows 8.1 and have the ELAN Smart-Pad software.  It took me a while to get used to the new gestures on Windows 8, but was finally enjoying scrolling down webpages by using 2 fingers and swiping to the right (down) and left (up).  I was using the laptop and closed my programs an d closed the lid to have some lunch.  When I came back, I could no longer scroll down on a webpage by 2 finger swiping to the left or right.  In order to scroll up or down now, I have to use the 2 fingers and swipe up and down.  Before this incident, I was able to use either way, 2 finger swipe to the right, left, up, and down.  

I have tried restarting my computer, rolling back the driver, re-installing the new driver.  I also opened up the mouse settings in ELAN and reset everything back to default.  I've double and triple checked that both "Vertical" and "Horizontal" scrolling is checked and enabled.  I've restarted my computer a total of about 10 times now trying everything I can think of.  Nothing works.  I haven't downloaded any updates lately at all and this just happened out of nowhere.  I've googled and searched these threads and have found nothing that describes my problem exactly, although there are some similar issues.  Can someone help?  Thanks in advance.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,268
Message 2 of 7

Re: 2 Finger Swiping for Scrolling Not Working All of the Sudden

hi AJL127,

Welcome to the Lenovo Forums.

Just to check, is the Touchpad Edge Swipes enabled under PC Settings? If this setting is disabled, can you follow method one of the guide below and observe

Touchpad Edge Swipes - Enable or Disable in Windows 8

Also, if you're using other browsers, you may wanna try the Vertical/Horizontal scrolling feature first on Internet Explorer and observe.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

AJL127
Paper Tape
Views: 1,251
Message 3 of 7

Hello and thank you so much for replying.  I was beginning to think my post had gone unnoticed .

Yes, my edge swipe settings are enabled.  I bought this laptop only 1 month ago and never changed any of the settings for the touchpad.  Everything was working fine until one day, the 2 finger horizontal scrolling stopped working without me doing a thing.  Also, my preferred browser is Google Chrome which I've been using since buying this laptop.  I did install Mozilla Firefox as a secondary browser and noticed that while using Firefox, the scrolling function never worked right on there.  On Chrome, however, it always worked fine up until recently.  I tried scrolling on Internet Explorer and it's the same as with Firefox and now Chrome. 

I realize it seems like such a non-trivial thing, but I'm very curious as to why this occured.  I was finally getting used to the scrolling and now I have to get used to a different way to do it (2 fingers up and down).  Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,235
Message 4 of 7

hi AJL127,

It's odd that the vertical scrolling works but not the horizontal one. I suspect a driver fault.

Curious, when you open the ELAN Touchpad properties, does it indicate that you're using stock ELAN driver? (it should say 11.4.25.1)

Sample image

If Touchpad is version 11.4.25.1, what I would do is to boot in Safe Mode and perform a System Restore and/or perform a system Refresh or Reset  - this will isolate the problem on the OS level and will tell us if this is a physical problem with the Touchpad.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

AJL127
Paper Tape
Views: 1,219
Message 5 of 7

Hello. When I open up the ELAN properties, I am seeing as follows:

ETDWare PS/2-X64 11.4.25.1_WHQL

I've booted into safe mode and done a refresh on my computer. The problem is still there however. I do not think it is something physical since everything with it works perfectly.. except on any web browser.  In fact, when I use certain programs, for example my music player, I can indeed use 2 finger scrolling (left to right) to scroll down. Another thing I've noticed is that if I'm looking through files or programs on my computer that requires me to scroll to the right, I can do horizontal scrolling for that too.  So I assume it's an issue with Chrome and not my computer.  Like I said before, the horizontal scrolling never worked on Firefox or IE.  Perhaps it's just not going to work with Chrome either?

I'm running out of ideas, and vertical scrolling is something I'm getting used to.  Doesn't seem to be worth the hassle of doing another system refresh (not very fun) or anything like that.  If there is anything else you can think of I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,191
Message 6 of 7

hi AJL127,

If both the horizontal / veritical scrolling works on other apps then this is most likely a compatibility issue. 

Referemce:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/60XWWkfFv0M

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/BoarsOZwfYU%5B1-25-false%5D

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=332797

In addition, If you're using a metro UI version of Chrome, IE, or Firefox, try using the Desktop version and observe

- For Chrome, the Desktop version can be found at C:\Program Files(x86)\Google\chrome\Application\Chrome.exe

- For I.E, C:\Program Files(x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

- For Firefox,, C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

Regards

Highlighted
AJL127
Paper Tape
Views: 1,173
Message 7 of 7

I have no idea what version of Chrome I'm using, I just know it's the normal one.. ?  I followed the steps to run in Desktop version for Chrome and Internet Explorer.  Both versions failed to work.  One thing I did notice is that in IE, it was indeed letting me scroll side to side on webpages that had more content on the sides (if that makes sense).  

I've given up.  Thanks for your help but it seems it's just not going to happen.  I'm now very much comfortable scrolling up and down.  It's just a shame that it couldn't be figured out as I was extremely curious as to what happened.  Thanks again.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors