Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenovo-tom
What's DOS?
Views: 2,376
Message 1 of 2

AHCI Controller not shown in Device Manager, Win 8.1, Lenovo G50-45 w/SSD drive

I have a "LENOVO 80E3 Lenovo G50-45" and I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro.

I have an SSD drive, and the BIOS seems to indicate that an AHCI Controller is detected by the system and in use.

However, in Device Manager, there's no listing for an AHCI Controller. All it shows is:

IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers -> AMD SATA Controller

By contrast, on my second computer, a Toshiba Satellite also with Win 8.1 and an SSD drive, the AHCI Controller appears in Device Manager, like this:

IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers -> Intel(R) 8 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller

Do I need to download an AHCI Controller for my Lenovo? I could find one for Windows 7 among the driver downloads, but not for Windows 8.1. Please provide a direct link to the correct AHCI driver download for my Windows 8.1 Lenovo G50-45, or please tell me what system settings I should supply/change so that the AHCI appears in Device Manager.

Many thanks!

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 2,359
Message 2 of 2

Re: AHCI Controller not shown in Device Manager, Win 8.1, Lenovo G50-45 w/SSD drive

hi lenovo-tom,

Welcome to the Forums.

AFAIK, the AMD SATA Controller is showing the right name once you have installed the correct SATA driver for an AMD powered machine.

The OEM driver for the SATA (AHCI) controller is located on the AMD Driver (which installs the Video, SATA (AHCI), and Audio drivers as well).

If you wanna see the AHCI Controller under the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, try one of the following:

1. Update the SATA driver by installing the AMD Chipset Drivers from the AMD website.

2. Under the Device Manager > IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, right click on the AMD SATA Controller and choose 

Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list of device drivers and on the list of drivers, pick the  Standard AHCI Controller.

- Sample image

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors