cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aashib
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,061
Message 1 of 5

After system restore, screen flickers on welcome screen with black screen and no safe mode

So I recently updated Intel HD graphics to the latest version.
I had some issues with Windows update installing an update and it was stuck installing. I tried to fix it using System restore.
After the restore, the lenovo logo showed up and loaded, then a black screen showed up. After a while, Lenovo veriface (I use them to login) showed up but it was flickering/flashing.( The camera was also blinking). After it verified my face, I couldn't see anything it was full of black screen, if I closed the lenovo veriface, it wouldn't show the windows graphics interface.
I tried to press F8, shift +F8 in the beginning , nothing seemed to work.
I could open UEFI bios settings by pressing f1 though. In that, I tried to change the graphics to UMA, it also didn't work. F10 also worked, it opened windows boot manager but it only displayed my hard diaj.

I have a lenovo g50-80 with windows 8.1 64 bit.
I think by reinstalling the Intel HD graphics, it could be fixed but since I couldn't login in normal boot or safe mode
Please help!
Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 3,048
Message 2 of 5

Re: After system restore, screen flickers on welcome screen with black screen and no safe mode

hi Aashib,

Welcome to the Forums.

From your observation, it looks like the System Restore didn't completely pushed through the restore point that you've chosen.

Can you try the following:

1. After logging in via Veriface and getting a black screen, press the Ctrl+Shift+Esc key (this should open Task Manager). If the Task Manager window opens, try one of the following:

a. click on File > New Task (Run...) and type rstrui to open System Restore and try to choose a different restore point.

b. If there are no other restore points, type explorer instead and see if you get the desktop/metro screen then perform a clean boot and observe.

c. If nothing happens after typing explorer, type msconfig, navigate to the Boot Tab and Tick on Safe Boot (minimal) then hit OK to restart. Once the machine boots into Safe Mode, perform a clean boot, untick Safe Boot (minimal) under msconfig and observe the machine in normal mode.

- Link to picture

2. If Step 1 doesn't work, try to Enter the Push-Button Reset (PBR) mode - this is like a recovery environment to restore the pc from a previous working state. To do this, hold the power button while Windows 8.1 is loading up ---this is where you see the spinning white dots (you may need to do this 2-3 times). If successful, you should be able to see an automatic repair screen to repair the damages system files. If it fails, select Advanced Options and from here, you can boot into Safe Mode, Last Known Good Configuration, or launch System Restore to select a different restore point.

Startup Repair.png

3. If the above Steps doesn't work, use another PC and follow this guide on how to boot from a Windows Installation  media where you can boot into Safe Mode, Last Known Good Configuration, or launch System Restore to select a different restore point.

If all of the above methods doesn't work, it'll be best to restore the system to factory settings by pressing the OneKey Recovery button (note that this will wipe the OS drive).

- Link to picture

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Aashib
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,034
Message 3 of 5

Re: After system restore, screen flickers on welcome screen with black screen and no safe mode

Step 1 doesn't work as I could not see anything which has the metroGUI, pressing Ctrl+alt+del or ESC didn't show anything.
Step 2 also didn't work, I turned it off many times while the spinning dot showed up, it didn't show me anything and booted like it did before.

What do you mean by this?

"If it fails, select Advanced Options and from here, you can boot into Safe Mode, Last Known Good Configuration, or launch System Restore to select a different restore point. "

I mean even after PBR failed, it didnt show anything like advanced options

STEP 3
The thing is I'm gonna go download it in the coming days from an internet cafe, windows 8.1 single language is like 3.5 GB
I also heard that lenovo gives recovery DVDs to laptops that got warranty, which I have and it hasn't expired. But Sunday is an off day for u guys.

Another question is I have win 8 32 bit with me, if I burn that into a disc/usb, will I be able to repair it by booting it on my win 8.1 64 bit other than installing it?

BTW can I make command prompt boot from a CD? If so I could try
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy
Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 3,008
Message 4 of 5

hi there,

The procedures in Step 2 above will force Automatic Repair when Windows failed to boot normally. If Automaic Repair  can't fix the startup problems, you will then be given Advanced Options to repair the machine.

As for repairing the Win8.1 64-bit OS, a Win8 32bit installer will not work as there's a difference in the architecture, core files (kernel, .dll , drivers, etc.) but you should be able to open up command prompt after booting from the Win8 32bit installer (by pressing Shift+F10) or via this guide and enable the legacy safe mode option by typing bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

Alternatively, you can also press the OneKey Recovery button to restore the system but this will wipe the OS drive.

- Link to picture

If you have files to backup, use the Win8 32bit installer and follow this guide.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Aashib
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,000
Message 5 of 5

**bleep** if you had replied yesterday, I would have tried it....
Well guess what I used one key recovery and lost all my important data..
I tried PBR reset after recovery, like u told it worked...then I was pissed off...
Probably some bugs with lenovo, Microsoft or Intel HD graphics...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors