Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thelarky
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,351
Message 1 of 6

Audio Service isn't running - no audio

Hi,

I signed into my laptop as usual and realized the sound had stopped working for me and i believe i didn't change any settings.

It is saying that the audio service isn't running and then when i right click and then click onto playback to devices it says i don't have any.

I've tried most of the adive on the internet such as device manager (says i have them and they're fine), uninstalling the driver and reinstalling and using a system restore point to before my most recent update. These have resulted in no change to the situation.

I also tried starting the windows audio service on the services and it failed and came up with error 1068.

I'm not sure what to do now so I thought i would ask on here for some help!

Thanks in advance

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 4,299
Message 2 of 6

Re: Audio Service isn't running - no audio

hi thelarky

Welcome to the Lenovo Forums.

Can you try the following:

1: Under services.msc > Windows Audio, ensure that the dependency services are running too.

- Link to picture

2. If same problem and you have Windows 8, can you open a command prompt as administrator and type the following:

secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose

When done, restart the computer and observe.

Similar threads:

No sound: Error: 1068-dependency service failed to start

Audio On Windows 8 Dev preview Not working

Let me know how it goes.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebppl and Twitter!

thelarky
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,288
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the reply,

I turned on the Multimedia Class Scheduler as it wasn't running, Remote Procedure Call (RPC) was already running but I couldn't find Windows Audio Endpoint Builder or  AudioEndpointBuilder (as it was listed on the dependencies).

I also completed the second suggestion and that didn't do anything that I could see.

Toby

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 4,282
Message 4 of 6

hi Toby,

Just to check, is the computer preloaded with an earlier version of Windows (eg. Win7) and you encountered this issue after upgrading the OS, say, to Win8 / 8.1? Or perhaps a Windows Update didn't completely installed, reverted back the changes then you got issue?

Usually, when a service that is required by the system is not running (in your case, the Windows Audio service), there's likely a corruption or a misconfiguration in the OS level (possibly by an update/upgrade, or a 3rd party app).

Other things that you can try:

1. Perform a clean boot

- this temporarily disables non-microsoft app/services that might inteferring with the Windows Audio service

2. Run sfc /scannow

- this checks and fixes corrupted system fles. If you get an error that it can't fix, use DISM to Fix Component Store Corruption.

3. If you get the same problem after doing the above steps, you may need to press the OneKey Recovery button to restore the system to factory (don't forget to backup important files as this will wipe all data on the OS partition).

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebppl and Twitter!

thelarky
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,262
Message 5 of 6

I'm running 8.1 which I installed a good 12 months ago (from windows 8) and haven't downloaded anything that i know of for months apart from an update on the morning it happened,but worked after that from a shutdown and then turned on and then the next time it went wrong.

I've also checked that I have all the up-to-date updates and downloaded them.

I've tried step one and two which didn't do anything so I'll do a factory reset and let you know how it goes.

thelarky
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,240
Message 6 of 6

So I completed a Factory reset and managed to finally get my audio back! just need to install all the 110 updates and get back to 8.1 and it should be clean sailing.

Thanks for all of the advice and support!

Top Kudoed Authors