10-08-2014 03:09 PM
I signed into my laptop as usual and realized the sound had stopped working for me and i believe i didn't change any settings.
It is saying that the audio service isn't running and then when i right click and then click onto playback to devices it says i don't have any.
I've tried most of the adive on the internet such as device manager (says i have them and they're fine), uninstalling the driver and reinstalling and using a system restore point to before my most recent update. These have resulted in no change to the situation.
I also tried starting the windows audio service on the services and it failed and came up with error 1068.
I'm not sure what to do now so I thought i would ask on here for some help!
Thanks in advance
Solved! Go to Solution.
10-09-2014 09:40 AM
Welcome to the Lenovo Forums.
Can you try the following:
1: Under services.msc > Windows Audio, ensure that the dependency services are running too.
2. If same problem and you have Windows 8, can you open a command prompt as administrator and type the following:
secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose
When done, restart the computer and observe.
Let me know how it goes.
10-09-2014 01:35 PM
Thanks for the reply,
I turned on the Multimedia Class Scheduler as it wasn't running, Remote Procedure Call (RPC) was already running but I couldn't find Windows Audio Endpoint Builder or AudioEndpointBuilder (as it was listed on the dependencies).
I also completed the second suggestion and that didn't do anything that I could see.
10-09-2014 03:13 PM
Just to check, is the computer preloaded with an earlier version of Windows (eg. Win7) and you encountered this issue after upgrading the OS, say, to Win8 / 8.1? Or perhaps a Windows Update didn't completely installed, reverted back the changes then you got issue?
Usually, when a service that is required by the system is not running (in your case, the Windows Audio service), there's likely a corruption or a misconfiguration in the OS level (possibly by an update/upgrade, or a 3rd party app).
Other things that you can try:
- this temporarily disables non-microsoft app/services that might inteferring with the Windows Audio service
2. Run sfc /scannow
- this checks and fixes corrupted system fles. If you get an error that it can't fix, use DISM to Fix Component Store Corruption.
3. If you get the same problem after doing the above steps, you may need to press the OneKey Recovery button to restore the system to factory (don't forget to backup important files as this will wipe all data on the OS partition).
10-10-2014 02:45 PM - edited 10-10-2014 02:47 PM
I'm running 8.1 which I installed a good 12 months ago (from windows 8) and haven't downloaded anything that i know of for months apart from an update on the morning it happened,but worked after that from a shutdown and then turned on and then the next time it went wrong.
I've also checked that I have all the up-to-date updates and downloaded them.
I've tried step one and two which didn't do anything so I'll do a factory reset and let you know how it goes.
10-12-2014 08:29 AM
So I completed a Factory reset and managed to finally get my audio back! just need to install all the 110 updates and get back to 8.1 and it should be clean sailing.
Thanks for all of the advice and support!