cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rayham
Token Ring
Views: 1,166
Message 1 of 6

B450 USB SPEED SLOW OR ERRATIC - SOMETIMES SLOW SOMETIMES FAST?

Have "Lenovo B450" for about 12 months.  Recently connecting 2 external 2T hard drives via USB.

When I transfer files between them, using a sync program or other programs - transfer speed is very erratic.  Sometimes will run at 18+MByte per second, then next transfer (did not shut down program) will quickly slow to less than 2MB/s?  Performance is random?

I am running XP SP3 Professional.

The same setup (and OS) with my desktop PC gets consistently fast (18MB/s) USB transfers between the drives?

Latest lenovo drivers installed.  It seems to me a BIOS problem - please test this on your B450 - Lenovo, please test.

Any solutions?

I have tried all solutions for slow usb noted on web.

thanks

Ray

PS  - my B450 is labeled as Lenovo - but may be same as Ideapad? - anyone know the difference?

rayham
Token Ring
Views: 1,149
Message 2 of 6

Re: B450 USB SPEED SLOW OR ERRATIC - SOMETIMES SLOW SOMETIMES FAST?

SOLVED !  or rather a workaround was suggested by LENOVO TECH SUPPORT - a brilliant idea - Run in SAFE MODE, do the file transfers as per normal - I found the speed was consistently faster at about 25MB/s using the same sync program.

It would seem some process running in normal mode is interfering with USB file transfer speeds.  Could be antivirus checking files on the fly or something else - weird **bleep** huh - Anyhoo, I will be doing big file transfers in safe mode in future.  Thanks Lenovo support!

cheers,

Ray

Former Administrator
Views: 1,113
Message 3 of 6

Ray,

Thanks for sharing this with the community, and really nice to hear that our tech support was able to help you out!

As I read your question and follow up, I wondered if this might be a USB power management issue.   Can you check your power management settings to see if there is an option to enable / disable power saving on USB? 

If that doesn't help you, you can try to configure the various things that are being loaded at start up to narrow down what software / application could be causing this as well.   Have you tried MSCONFIG  from your command line?   Start -> Run -> msconfig

Please keep us posted if you continue to work on this...

Best regards,

Mark

Retired Guru
Views: 1,103
Message 4 of 6

That provided solution is completely ridiculous.

If you want, do this:

1. Uninstall Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver (you can install later if this doesn't solve your problem).
  2. Restart your computer.
  3. If nothing changes, jump to step 4. If your problem is solved, just smile.
  4. Update your chipset driver to latest version.

Your download page is this.

IPnaSh
First Spanish Community Guru - Colaborador ad honorem

Lenovo
rayham
Token Ring
Views: 1,077
Message 5 of 6

Mark, 

"As I read your question and follow up, I wondered if this might be a USB power management issue.   Can you check your power management settings to see if there is an option to enable / disable power saving on USB? "

I have checked this and turned off power management, but had no effect.

"... you can try to configure the various things that are being loaded at start up......" 

At this stage, too many processes to test in startup for now.  I may do it when i have more time and post the results.

cheers, 

Ray

rayham
Token Ring
Views: 1,074
Message 6 of 6

IPnaSh,

"Uninstall Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver (you can install later if this doesn't solve your problem)."

How do I do this, I cant find this driver in  "Devices"

I am running XP with Non-AHCI mode set in BIOS.

I have already tried updating chipset driver from Lenovo, but it made no difference, I have all latest drivvers installed as listed in your link.

Ray

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors