Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Indiaa121
Paper Tape
Views: 1,358
Message 1 of 4

B50-30 Doesn’t boot up

Hello,

I have a B50-30 laptop, which currently isn’t working; when I switch it on there is nothing at all on the screen (not even the Lenovo’s logo that would normally be there when turned on) yet the fan make the same noises they would when I turn it on and things work. The power light remains on like normal, but my keyboard also seems unresponsive as I can’t even get the caps lock or number lock buttons to light up. Also when I plug in/unplug the laptop it makes a single loud beep sound. 

It is is no longer under warranty, so I wanted to post here to ask for some advice, as I’m worried sending it off to Lenovo could be pricey, and I’m struggling to find details of repair things on the website. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, as it’s exam season so I really need it working, but I am not super technical!

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

Highlighted
JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,350
Message 2 of 4

Re: B50-30 Doesn’t boot up

Some things to try...

• Detach any USB devices or external monitors etc. and remove any disks in the CD/DVD drive.
  • Shut down the computer completely
  • Remove the AC adapter
  • Remove the battery pack
  • Press and hold the power button for 15-30 seconds.
  • Reinstall the battery
  • Attach the AC adapter, but do not press the power button.    Instead, use a pen tip or paper clip to press the NOVO button (a small recessed button between CD tray and USB port on right side of laptop) to power up the laptop.
  • If it powers up, see if you can enter "BIOS Setup" from the NOVO menu

If it will not power up using the NOVO button, try removing the optical drive by following the instruction on page 34 of the Hardware Maintenance Manual linked below, and then try to boot up the system again.

If it still is failing to boot, then you may have hardware issue, such as a bad HDD or system/motherboard.   .

Lenovo B50-30/B50-30 Touch/ B50-45/B50-70/B50-80 Hardware Maintenance Manual

https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/b50_30_b50_30_touch_b50_45_b50_70_b50_80...

Best of luck,

Indiaa121
Paper Tape
Views: 1,344
Message 3 of 4

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I tried out your suggestions but I’m afraid none of them worked. Using the NOVO button to turn on the laptop gave the same results as turning it on using the standard power button, and the screen still displayed nothing. When following the procedure with the optical drive removed the same thing happened, except the laptop made no noise at all so the sound I was hearing before must’ve been the optical drive and not the fans. 

Is there anything else I could do to help fix the issue or determine what the cause is? Anymore suggestions would be greatly appreciated Smiley Happy

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,332
Message 4 of 4

Well you could try hooking up an external monitor you have one to see if it is a screen issue, but if that fails too, then it is most likely a system/motherboard issues.    You could try removing the bottom cover, and removing and re-seating the RAM and HDD (see pages 37 and  39 of the HWMM posted earlier), and removing the coin cell (CMOS) battery battery for a minute or two (it should be either above or to the left of the RAM slots), but other than that, I fear your laptop may need repaired or replaced.

Cheers, ... well sort of anyway.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors