Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AirJonn
Paper Tape
Views: 1,154
Message 1 of 4

B50-30 sata driver - unable to install windows 8.1

Hey all,

I'm having an issue trying to clean install windows 8.1 on this new B50-30.

It's the Celeron N2840 model (MCA32MH).

I have replaced the HDD for a SSD (Crucial bx100) and have created a UEFI bootable USB stick holding a Windows 8.1 With Bing image (I get past the enter serial part now, image matches stored key).

During Windows setup i get the following message:

Load driver - A media driver your computer needs is missing...etc

I cannot select any harddisk. 

The sata controller is set to AHCI in bios, I have tried loading the latest Intel chipset drivers during setup. I can only add the SM bus driver from the list and it doesnt work. I also get the same error on a different Win 8.1 image.

Somehow it seems to be missing the drivers, which drivers should I use? Isnt it regular Intel? Or could it  be something else?

I have done the exaxt same on another B50 (older model) last week without any issues..

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Arie

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,130
Message 2 of 4

Re: B50-30 sata driver - unable to install windows 8.1

hi Arie,

Welcome to the Forums.

If you;re able to see the SSD in the BIOS and/or see it under Disk Management while using the stock HDD then you may want to consider the following:

1. Boot from the stock HDD and update the BIOS

BIOS Update Utility - Ideapad 305-15IBY, Lenovo B40-30, B50-30, B50-30 touch, E40-30 Laptops

2. Update the SSD's firmware to  MU02 (latest as of this writing).

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/support-ssd-firmware

3. Using the stock HDD, connect the Crucial SSD and convert the volume to MBR first to see if there's a compatibility using the drive as GPT.

If none of the above methods works then there's likely a compatibility issue with the SSD's controller and/or the BIOS (similar to this thread). In this case, consider using a different brand (e.g., Samsung) and observe.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

AirJonn
Paper Tape
Views: 1,103
Message 3 of 4

Hi Neokenchi,

Thanks for the help!
I have just now tried the first two options, updating the bios and drive, unfortunately it didnt help the problem. I dont have another PC or sata slot available to try the last option, starting to think it's a compatibility issue as well.

Also; when i first boot the system and go to the bios I see the drive fine, then when I start the windows setup till the error message and reboot the drive has dissapeared from the bios until i shut down the laptop.

That thread seems indeed very very similar and no solution.. think i should swap the disk for a samsung while I still can.

Thanks so far, appreciated!
Arie

Chuck684
Paper Tape
Views: 1,059
Message 4 of 4

Same exact issue with a Lenovo Edge 15 and a Crucial BX100. Just an FYI for anyone that comes across this thread!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors