Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CrisCG
What's DOS?
Views: 393
Message 1 of 5

B50-80 Second HDD not detected.

Hello everyone, I've recently bought a SSD so that I could improve my old work machine. I successfully cloned the Windows 10 partition and moved it from the old HDD to the SSD. The swap was successful and the difference in speed noticeable...

The problem I have comes with the old HDD. I wanted to use it as a second storage drive, so I bought a compatible Caddy. The drive was wiped completely, however it does not work on the laptop... It isn't listed in the BIOS and isn't detected in Windows either.

-The HDD is in working order. I've performed basic tests with a diagnostic app from Seagate(the manufacturer) which it passed, and the HDD itself is working fine on a PC(where I performed the tests).

-The Caddy is also in working order... I've tested it with a different SSD inserted in it and it is detected by the BIOS and windows.

Does anyone know what I could do to make it work? This is really frustrating... I'm up to date with all of the drivers, with the latest BIOS.

Processor: 1x Intel Core i3-5005U Processor(i3-5005U)
Memory: 1x 4GB DDR3L 1600
Operating System: Free-DOS()
Hard Drive: 1x 500GB + 8GB
Optical Drive: 1x
Wireless Network: 1x Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160
Camera: 1x 720p HD Camera
Graphics: 1x Intel HD 5500
Monitor: 15.6 1366x768
Included Warranty: 2 Year Depot
Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 369
Message 2 of 5

Re: B50-80 Second HDD not detected.

Hi CrisCG!

Welcome to the community forums.

Could you try to connect the Caddy with an SSD to other computer to check if it will work? We'd like to isolate the issue on this.

Let us know how it goes.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

CrisCG
What's DOS?
Views: 360
Message 3 of 5

The caddy has a power plug that I only have in the laptop, so connecting the caddy anywhere but another compatible laptop is not possible for me.

However, as I've sad in the OP, the caddy is probably OK as I tested it with a SSD which worked fine. The problem is just with the old HDD.
Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 351
Message 4 of 5

What's the model of the caddy you are using? Some HDD caddies have a very small switch where you need to turn on in order to be detected by the computer. 

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

CrisCG
What's DOS?
Views: 344
Message 5 of 5

It does indeed have a switch. Whichever way it's set makes no difference.

Another thing I've noticed is that with the HDD in the caddy, it takes a long time to enter the BIOS and until it boots windows. So something is happening... Also, I can hear the hard drive spinning up. I'm guessing this is a firmware problem.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors