Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo B and G Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

12-10-2012

North Carolina

20 Signins

119 Page Views

• Views: 119
  • Message 1 of 3

B560 Recovery Discs with complete HDD failure

2017-01-29, 20:20 PM

A family member has a B560 I bought them new as a gift many moons ago.    The HDD has recently failed.

When the laptop was new, a Lenovo program on the drive was ran to recover the Q: onekey partition space and place the contents on two DVD-R discs.  

I have the new replacement HDD, but these recovery discs are not bootable.   And of course with a complete original HDD failure the OneKey recovery is not available.

I see this download, http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/Lenovo-B-Series-laptops/Lenovo-B560-Notebook/downloads/DS007839

Is there a way to use this download with the two discs the Lenovo utility made when the laptop was first setup out of the box to recover it back to the factory Windows 7 configuration?

Answer
Options

7 Posts

12-10-2012

North Carolina

20 Signins

119 Page Views

Re: B560 Recovery Discs with complete HDD failure

2017-01-30, 2:39 AM

Well I figured this out myself, posting the answer here in case it helps someone else down the road.

So the two recovery discs were perfectly readable, but the first was not bootable.  I noticed though that it had all the necessary boot files.   So what must have happened many years ago was that the Lenovo recovery utility that made them had an issue making them bootable.  It turns out they are DVD-RAM media, not DVD-R as I had originally thought.

So I just copied the files to a folder and burned a new DVD and everything worked just fine.   So the answer was make the DVD disc bootable.

Replies(2)
Answer
Options

7 Posts

12-10-2012

North Carolina

20 Signins

119 Page Views

• Message 2 of 3

2017-01-30, 2:39 AM

Well I figured this out myself, posting the answer here in case it helps someone else down the road.

So the two recovery discs were perfectly readable, but the first was not bootable.  I noticed though that it had all the necessary boot files.   So what must have happened many years ago was that the Lenovo recovery utility that made them had an issue making them bootable.  It turns out they are DVD-RAM media, not DVD-R as I had originally thought.

So I just copied the files to a folder and burned a new DVD and everything worked just fine.   So the answer was make the DVD disc bootable.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

2400 Posts

11-07-2014

United States of America

1534 Signins

24216 Page Views

• Views: 24216
  • Message 3 of 3

2017-01-30, 18:18 PM
DVD-Ram is OK, just will not be a "bootable" device when inserted - on that you are correct.

The best medium for Recovery Disks IMO is DVD +R, then label as disk 1, 2, etc...

Thanks for the update.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)