Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo B and G Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

09-26-2014

United States

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 2

B570 odd restarts/possible BIOS issue

2014-09-26, 22:58 PM

So I have searched online and on this forum extensively and I am not finding another case similiar to what I have going on here.  A couple of days ago my computer, which I have owned for a bit over a year now (bought used) started crapping out in the middle of POSTing.  So, I disassembled it (no worries, I work in IT professionally and I have worked as a service tech for numerous manufacturers in my career) and checked everything out...made sure the CPU was seated right, reapplied thermal paste, checked for swollen or burnt caps, nothing....so after futzing with it (checking to make sure the RAM wasn't hosed, either stick, either slot...checking HDD...etc) I ended up just grabbing a replacement MOBO.  Couple days later, MOBO arrives, I swap everything over...things work great, okay awesome.  I figure the BIOS is out of date, so I grab update 43 for my specific machine off of the Lenovo site and flash...it goes through the process and then hangs on restart, I leave it be and it eventually powers off, but will not restart.  I unplug it, plug it back in and it fires automagically but craps out on POST again.  I pull the battery, clear the caps, plug it back in and it fires up....can't see if the BIOS update actually took because of course this new board has an undocumented BIOS password, but it boots into 7.  I work with it a bit, then accidentally hit the CAPS LOCK key and it shuts down.  **bleep**?  So, I go through the whole clear the caps again and test it...sure enough, it boots but CAPS LOCK shuts it down, very weird.  So, I start researching on how to roll the BIOS back and I am not finding anything.  I saw something on Phoenix about doing a crisis rollback procedure, but I am not sure if that will further screw this up.  I pulled the CMOS battery, cleared out caps, and it maintains the same behavior....if I hit CAPS LOCK it shutsdown, if it shuts down I have to clear the caps completely and then plug it back into power and it will autoboot, with reset date and time (of course, no CMOS).  If I manually reboot it, sometimes it works sometimes it craps out on POST. 

for reference, I have a B570 with the Core i3-2330 and 8gb RAM.  As I said, I tested the RAM to make sure the clock speed wasn't screwing anything up, swapped out to it's original 2gbx2 sticks...same behavior.  It is not the HDD, it is not anything with the PSU or DC port.  I am thinking it might be a crappy CMOS battery that is not holding enough charge for the BIOS update to take?  So, I have a new CMOS battery en-route and a new processor, just to eliminate those as culprits.  I did check the ribbon connections for the keyboard and the top bezel, again...nothing seems wrong out out of the ordinary.  I am really stumped here, so any input would be most helpful!

Thanks!

JT

Options

3 Posts

09-26-2014

United States

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: B570 odd restarts/possible BIOS issue

2014-10-01, 3:23 AM

Just wanted to update, still not sure what was causing the odd restarts but I did find out what was up with the weird CAPS LOCK resets....turns out my ribbon cable on my top bezel (from the indicator lights to the mobo) had a loose connection, I ended up squeezing it back together with some flat medical foreceps I have and carefully reslotted it, problem solved...I have CAPS LOCK again and no weird reboots, so  guessing it was causing a minor short.  That might be what the crux of the whole thing was too, as I have moved back to my original motherboard and so far-so good...so, hopefully that is all it amounts to.  I did replace the CMOS battery as well (for $4 on ebay, why not) and plan to upgrade the processor eventually from the i3-2330M to the i5-2340m for a little more speed, especially if this laptop starts acting stable again. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms