Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
plsrepli
Punch Card
Views: 2,011
Message 1 of 13

B575 - Lenovo Support Can't Answer My Question

Hello all,

I spent 30 minutes on the phone with support today. When they couldn't answer my question I was abruptly disconnected.

Question: How can I verify whether my B575 is running in a single memory mode or dual channel mode?

(Memory modes are not discussed in any B575 documentation and no information is available from the BIOS)

So here's how our conversation went (cut to the quick):

My question:  Is dual channel memory operation supported in the B575?

Support response:  Yes.

My question:  How can I verify my memory mode of operation (eg, single or dual channel)?

Support response:  (After 15 minutes on hold) That is an upgrade question and we do not support upgrades.

My response:  The verification of your (installed) memory operation has nothing to do with an upgrade.

Support response:  (Placed on hold for another 15 minutes) Then support either hung up or disconnected me.

Since I cannot get a straight answer from Lenovo support, I am asking this community's administrators to intercede and get this question answered properly. However, if there is no easy way to verify the B575 memory mode of operation, I am requesting a BIOS upgrade that will reveal such information so it is visible on the BIOS screens.

Note: I have already tried CPU-Z and the channel information is "grayed out."  I also tried the new MemTes86 v4.20 and the information provided in the memory ID section is inconclusive to determine the memory operational mode.

However, if I'm missing something simple here, I wish the community would advise me accordingly.

Thank in advance for your help.

plsrepli 

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,967
Message 2 of 13

Re: B575 - Lenovo Support Can't Answer My Question

if you have two memory installed, try one by one.

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
plsrepli
Punch Card
Views: 1,963
Message 3 of 13

Hello yigit,

OK; I'll try that later after I'm done with the wife's "honey-do" list of chores.

I'll get back to you with a picture of the results.

Thanks for your help.

plsrepli

plsrepli
Punch Card
Views: 1,960
Message 4 of 13

Hello yigit,

Here are the test results per your suggestion:

One 4GB Chip Installed

Matching Pair of Chips Installed:

No difference between single and matching chips. The information is still "grayed-out." I hope someone from support will address this sooner than later. Thanks for your help!

Best regards,

plsrepli

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,954
Message 5 of 13

possible it's about your ram. in normal circumstances, you should be able to view its serial but it's blank.

plsrepli
Punch Card
Views: 1,949
Message 6 of 13

Hello again yigit,

It is not the Crucial RAM. Here, I restored my laptop to "factory default" hardware with the same results. The chip tested is the same one that came installed in my laptop:

This issue definitely needs attention and support needs to take corrective action. Unfortunately, I refuse to go through another 30 minute hang-up session. Now, I think I have demonstrated there is a problem to be corrected so could someone please escalate this through the Lenovo support channels?

I would greatly appreciate any progress in resolving this matter.

Thank you,

plsrepli

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,933
Message 7 of 13

which version of the bios do you have, the latest one?

plsrepli
Punch Card
Views: 1,932
Message 8 of 13

Hello yigit,

I am running the version that was installed on the laptop when I received it. According to the Lenovo support site, there are no BIOS updates available.

plsrepli
Punch Card
Views: 1,930
Message 9 of 13

Hello yigit,

Well, I took a chance and called Lenovo support again and this time I did not get disconnected. So, I talked to a very helpful technician (Mike) and he escalated the question (within his own group) and the answer that came back is "We do not support that functionality on the B575." Now, although I am not pleased with that answer, I will respect it because at least someone understood my problem and was able to answer my question. Also, the tech said he would provide the information (relative to my concern) to the appropriate software group for future considerations (ie BIOS update).

Anyway "It is what it is!"

I guess from a price-point perspective, I can learn to live without that option but it sure would have been nice to have!

A special thanks to yigit for responding and trying to assist!

Best regards,

plsrepli

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,906
Message 10 of 13

you're welcome.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale