Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aubreybourke
Paper Tape
Views: 654
Message 1 of 3

BIOS wont save changes. Also cannot boot USB or CD-ROM

My Lenovo B50-30 Laptop had windows 10 installed with bitlocker encryption on half the drive. The other half was encrypted with a linux luks partition. I would boot linux off the USB drive and unlock the luks partition.

Now I decided I wanted to install linux permanently. So in windows I deleted the luks partition, then I turned off bitlocker and rebooted. At this point I was no longer able to modify the bios settings. They load and I can change the values but when I hit save the settings dont seem to persist or take effect. Its as if the bios is locked!

The only drive that will load is my SSD with my windows 10 install. I tried swapping in an older drive and like all other options none of them will boot. No HDD, no USB, no CD-ROM - Nothing!

I also tried replacing the CMOS battery - Nope

Then I tried flashing the bios - Nope - It loads they utility, and it detects the bios version. So I try to update then restarts the laptop. But bios is still the same version

Is this possible to fix? Should I go to a repair shop? Do  Lenovo do repairs?

Or is there any solution I can try?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 626
Message 2 of 3

Re: BIOS wont save changes. Also cannot boot USB or CD-ROM

Hello and welcome,

This sounds familiar.  Were you running Ubuntu 17.10 or some derivative?

Have a read through this thread.  I don't know how you recover if you've already removed the bootable Linux paritition.  Perhaps there's something in the thread - if you have the same issue.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Discussion/Ubuntu-17-10-corrupts-Lenovo-BIOS-USB-not-recognized-n...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

aubreybourke
Paper Tape
Views: 614
Message 3 of 3

Re: BIOS wont save changes. Also cannot boot USB or CD-ROM

Yes thats exactly what I am experiencing. I was using Lubuntu 17.10. Thank you for your help. Now I know what caused the problem.

So now I can begin trying to find solutions.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors