Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Assassin0795
Paper Tape
Views: 43,956
Message 1 of 11

Battery Not Detected - G505s.

Hello everyone,

Long story short, the battery likes to play games as to when it is or isn't detected. If I plug it in to the charger before booting it tends to recognize the battery, but frequently when simply turning on the G505s it'll just not detect the battery (I tried seeing if it was detected in the Lenovo Solution Center in addition to the battery meter; it wasn't). It runs on battery, but it's incredibly irritating to have no idea as to how much of a charge is left.

I just got this laptop yesterday, and would appreciate any assistance. I upgraded the BIOS firmware, and am currently running Windows 8.1.

Former Employee
Views: 43,857
Message 2 of 11

Re: Battery Not Detected - G505s.

Hi Assassin0795,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. Was reading through your post and does seem like this issue could be pointing to the hardware. As it is quite early to tell let start with the basic stuff first.

Firstly, I'd like youto open the Lenovo energy management software. There should be a battery section where by you can do battery gauge reset. Could you try that out first and post back on the results.

Regards
GraceTMX
What's DOS?
Views: 43,842
Message 3 of 11

I had the same exact problem. I'm not sure why it happened, but I followed the steps below and the laptop is now detecting the battery:

Unplug AC adapter and Shutdown the system. Remove battery, Connect AC Adapter and Start windows. Uninstall Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery from device manager under the battery tab. Shutdown, Remove AC Adapter, Install battery, Reattach AC Adapter. Now, Power up and check.

Assassin0795
Paper Tape
Views: 43,828
Message 4 of 11

Thank you both for such a quick response.

GraceTMX, it seems that what you recommended fixed it (restarted my laptop twice off the charger and the battery meter is working properly). I had been looking around before coming here and found that the Microsoft ACPI-Complaint Control Method Battery has been causing issues for a number of laptops, but couldn't find any source where it fixed the battery meter - so I assumed it best to not take any risks. Thank you for that. The only "downside" to this is that the battery meter isn't displayed unless I'm on the desktop - but I find it negligible since I'm using the desktop most of the time anyway.

NINE, thank you for your assistance on the matter as well. If the solution GraceTMX offered turns out to not work in the future, I will keep your solution in mind.
Assassin0795
Paper Tape
Views: 43,797
Message 5 of 11

Unfortunately my previous success was short-lived; the issue has returned (incorrect battery meter display). I'm unable to start the battery gauge reset, even when my battery is detected - the "Start" button is grayed out.

Any suggestions based on this?

Former Employee
Views: 43,771
Message 6 of 11

Hi Assassin0795,

Try uninstalling the Lenovo Energey Management and reinstall the software again from the Link below.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS035251

Hope this helps.

regards

Assassin0795
Paper Tape
Views: 43,744
Message 7 of 11

I have tried that, and still no success.

I sent the laptop back for a refund this morning; can't be asked to deal with such issues from a new notebook. Taking too much of my time for something I shouldn't have to deal with when I haven't had the notebook for 48 hours.

Regardless, thank you for your time. You've been lovely.

Former Employee
Views: 43,572
Message 8 of 11

Hi Assassin0795,

Thanks for posting back. My apologies for not being able to help sooner. I hope we can build your trust again in the near future.

Thanks for your support thus far. We really appreciate it.

Regards
Thom_Lenovo
What's DOS?
Views: 43,153
Message 9 of 11

I'm having the exact same problem with my new G505s and I've tried every possible solution given in this thread. Does anyone know a more permanent way to fix this quite frustrating issue?

Yamaha50
Paper Tape
Views: 42,843
Message 10 of 11

My Lenovo G505s from Frys is also brand new and now frequently will not charge or shows "plugged in, not charging" messages. On the rare occasions when it is charged, it shuts down randomly while I am working on it. I also tried running the battery gauge reset, left it running for almost two whole days, and it still would not end and give me a result so I gave up and stopped it. Would getting a new battery help, or is my only resort to take it back? 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors