Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
trap
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,150
Message 1 of 9

Bios Update fails on Lenovo B50-80

Update Utility downloaded from Support Page (Version 3.07) offers updating from version 3.0 to 3.06, finishes fast and reboots. But version not changed.

Used Windows 10.

EFI NVRAM area seems to be filled up, Disabling secure boot/or some other options do not work reliable. EFI utility does not allow changing variables (Ubuntu the same). Defaulting bios options the same. Altering Date working.

Would recovering the windows installation clean up the EFI NVRAM area?

Best regards

Peter

PS: using Ubuntu most of the time, tools altering the EFI NVRAM area are failing, updates failing now, and also booting from USB stopped working

trap
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,121
Message 2 of 9

Re: Bios Update fails on Lenovo B50-80

Removed Mainboard Battery CR2032 (voltage 2,89V) with new one (3.31V). No changes. Insyde H2Offt V5.88 doesn't show progress bar before rebooting.

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,112
Message 3 of 9

@trap wrote:

Removed Mainboard Battery CR2032 (voltage 2,89V) with new one (3.31V). No changes. Insyde H2Offt V5.88 doesn't show progress bar before rebooting.

I would suggets a power drain procedure.

• Turn off notebook (shut down)
  • Remove AC power and Battery
  • Press and hold the power button down for 30 seconds
  • replace battery, AC power
  • Turn on notebook with "Novo" button, enter BIOS
  • When in BIOS - set defaults and save, then exit.

Once system has rebooted it should return BIOS to defaults, so any special changes to hard disk operations and boot order will need to be adjusted to meet your needs.

Also - do not think that you need to update to a new BIOS just because it is there.  Only update if needed, for a particular bug fix, security update or hardware solution that you may need to apply.  BIOS updates are very prone to "murphy's law" and fail quite often.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
trap
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,104
Message 4 of 9

Hello CB,

thanks for your tip. Whats the reason turning on without power for 30s?

Tried it. New firmware menu.

But setting bios values to default had no effect after reboot (virtual hardware support on again)

EFI nvram variables still strange.

Now I agree on bios updates even from manufacturers are problematic. 2 years ago it hang on a b50-30 after erasing the flash!

I had a chat with lenovo support, 23month after buy. But even in EU the warranty is only 12months.

They have no utility or idea to clean up NVRAM or the wish to provide a working bios update. And since this comes from another firm no possibility to provide this scenario to technical personal.

thanks again

Peter

trap
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,068
Message 5 of 9

looks like several Lenovo Models feature this kind of desease(bug) for a lot of years now.

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/lenovo-g50-read-only-nvram-solution.html

In my opinion it has something to do how this laptops store/rewrite its NVRAM variables in Flash memory.

It is getting full and the mechanism to clear variables/Flash blocks has a bug.

Since the boot mechanism of this firmware is quite robust I am still able to boot ubuntu and windows.

Have fun

PS: anyone an idea to get Lenovo motivated to fix their bug?

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,057
Message 6 of 9

The "Press and hold down the power button" for 30 seconds, without battery and AC power connected will drain out stored energy (capacitance) used to hold CMOS / BIOS settings in place.

This might help with clearing NVRAM but I am not 100 % on that point.

Not having the exact model in front of me is limiting what information I can apply / provide.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
trap
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,049
Message 7 of 9

Re: Bios Update fails on Lenovo B50-80/EFI NVRAM/Flash full?

Hello CB,

After removing the batteries on my first try I have had breakfast to be sure all capacitors are empty/ICs without power (I don't expect a goldcap here).

Alone the keys in EFI NVRAM/flash are about 14kbyte huge. And I have 77 keys in the dbx(blacklist!?) section (efi-readvar under Ubuntu)!

Is this normal?

Should I try to remove some of them? How?

Best regards

Peter

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,000
Message 8 of 9

@trap wrote:

Hello CB,

After removing the batteries on my first try I have had breakfast to be sure all capacitors are empty/ICs without power (I don't expect a goldcap here).

Alone the keys in EFI NVRAM/flash are about 14kbyte huge. And I have 77 keys in the dbx(blacklist!?) section (efi-readvar under Ubuntu)!

Is this normal?

Should I try to remove some of them? How?

Best regards

Peter

Any that are not in use, or recognized would be the logical choice to remove.  Usually I only keep one for each OS installed.

CB

trap
Fanfold Paper
Views: 938
Message 9 of 9

most likely ubuntu 17.10 invalidated EFI NVRAM area. EFI bios itself, bios update utility, actual linux kernels do not repair this.

But ubuntu kernel 4.14.9 installed via ukuu and bootet once fixed EFI NVRAM.

Altering NVRAM values, booting from USB stick and doing Firmware update (major part occurs after the boot) work again/now

(also ubuntu shim-signed and efi-boot-amd64-signed packages are working now).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors