Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
McBuzz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 282
Message 1 of 4

Bios update b590 model 6274 Linux Debian

Hello everybody,
First of all please excuse me for the spelling I'm french Smiley Happy.
I would like to update the BIOS of my lenovo B590 but I work on Linux Debian stretch. But all the update utilities are only available for Windows. I currently have the H5ET63WW version (1.06) of the BIOS. I did some research on the Lenovo Support Center and realized that I needed to get the BIOS version H9ET75WW first (Here : https://support.lenovo.com/fr/fr/downloads/ds032260 ). So I downloaded the .ZIP file, however it contains a lot of files and I do not know which one to use ... Some friends advised me to go through a FreeDos Live USB to flash the BIOS, but not knowing which file to start, I find myself confused Smiley Frustrated .

Here is a recapiltulatif of the system features : IMG_20180218_103845.jpg

Thank you for your help, I'm well aware that the Linux environment does not facilitate anything but for my work I have no choice ...

Mod edit:  Removed image containing Serial Number to prevent abuse.

SeniorGuru
Views: 255
Message 2 of 4

Re: Bios update b590 model 6274 Linux Debian

If your system is working fine as is, or there are no critical fixes in the new BIOS file it is not necessary to update / upgrade the BIOS.

The main reason not to update BIOS is the better than average chance that a non-necessary update can result in a non-functioning device.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
McBuzz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 250
Message 3 of 4

Thank you for this answer, but no, I need to update the BIOS to fix "mce" type errors on my debian distribution. So it's very important.

Look at this .... IMG_20180218_093030.jpg

SeniorGuru
Views: 209
Message 4 of 4

Reading the BIOS file documents, it should work if you have a "bootable" USB drive created from Windows 7 or later OS that will boot the computer into "DOS" mode. This is not a true DOS like MS-DOS used to be, more of a slimmed down version of Windows without the Explorer.exe shell.

The other way would be to have a spare HDD with Windows on it, swap it out and update the machine.

The third option would be to run Windows in an Emulator - but that is extremely risky for several good reasons.

Personally - I would strongly recommend using a Windows Boot USB drive to try the flash program (ends in .exe) that you can download and save to that same USB drive.

On a side note - the readme document attached to the BIOS files does not specifically state it has to be done from within a windows environment. You might want to contact Support on the phone to see if they have any other info before you jump into this.

Good luck.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors