Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
flip003
What's DOS?
Views: 81,124
Message 1 of 12

Black square on screen

I have purchased a B590 with Windows8 yesterday. After first set up a black square showing a white arrow with the number 1  appears permantly on the desktop.

It's situated close to the bottom on the right side. I can't move it. Don't know what it means. When I open a internet page or open my mailbox it's still present. Even when I play a movie. 

I found it very annoying.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 81,119
Message 2 of 12

Re: Black square on screen

hi flip003,

it sounds like dead pixel but can you just take a photo and upload it so we can take a look at the issue?

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 81,101
Message 3 of 12

Hi,

Sounds more like the on-screen-displaly for the numlock key.

I can't find a pic for some reason.  This is the equivalent for caps lock:

Twist Caps Lock Icon.PNG

Here's where you might check: control panel, display, resolution, advanced.  Or just rt click on the desktop, screen resolution, advanced.

Twist OSD Control Resized.jpg

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

petersean
What's DOS?
Views: 80,706
Message 4 of 12

Many thanks-The black icon definitely is NUMLOCK permanently on screen.

Ever since my 3 year old granddaughter was playing "pianos" on my laptop the black icon was permanently there & driving me nuts. Couldn't remove it and it blocked editing areas on some programs.

Now it's gone; on Screen Resolution I changed NUMLOCK & CAPSLOCK to display only for a few seconds. Hooray!

hello_2023
What's DOS?
Views: 77,342
Message 5 of 12

Re: Black square on screen, Looks like arrow or house with the number 1 in it

There is a black box in the lower right portion of my screen. It is NOT the caps lock. It looks like an arrow or even a bit like a house and it has the number 1 in it.

It stays on my screen no matter what page I am on and I cannot get rid of it no matter what I try. Anyone know how to fix this?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 77,335
Message 6 of 12

That sounds like NUMLOCK.

What computer model and operating system are you using?  If it's a thinkpad, the On-screen Display options tab I linked above should let you turn it off.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

hello_2023
What's DOS?
Views: 77,330
Message 7 of 12

Thank you! Once you mentioned that it was just number lock I pressed Num "Lock" on my key pad without pressing anything else and it then dissappeared so I did not get to try any of the other suggestions that you made.

Thank you again!

hello_2023
What's DOS?
Views: 77,324
Message 8 of 12

Is there a way that you can keep the numbers on the right hand side of the screen turned on without having that black box in the way? While I was able to turn it off using the number lock it means that I have the use the numbers strewn out accross the top of the keyboard if I want to be able to view the whole screen due to the black box in the way.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 77,318
Message 9 of 12

There should be an option somewhere to turn off the on-screen display.

As I said, if you'd give us your model and operating system, someone should be able to point you in the right direction.

Did you try the fix I posted up-thread?

Z.

hello_2023
What's DOS?
Views: 77,301
Message 10 of 12

it is a lenovo B590 operating windows 7

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors