cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sayanpal
Paper Tape
Views: 682
Message 1 of 6

Bluetooth disappeared from the device manager after clean installation of windows 10

I reformatted my Lenovo G580 laptop, and ran a clean installation of Windows 10. After the installation Bluetooth disappeared completely. I waited till all the updates are downloaded and installed. However, this did not install the bluetooth driver. Note that before this clean installation, I was running Windows 10 with Bluetooth perfectly working.

The Bluetooth disappeared from Device Manager. There is no entry containing Bluetooth in name, including the hidden devices. I tried to install the drivers from Lenovo's support website. As there are nothing available for Windows 10, I tried to install the ones for Windows 8.1, with compatibility mode set to Windows 8. But none of those drivers were installed due to the following compatibility issue.

Realtek Bluetooth suite can't run on Windows

I also tried correcting the Bluetooth Support Service, but nothing changed. I tried to troubleshoot Bluetooth as per Microsoft's official help page on this. The troubleshooter said that

Device does not have bluetooth
Bluetooth is not available on this device. Please try using an external adapter to add Bluetooth capability to this computer

Being clueless now, I tried to reset the BIOS to its default settings, as some of the internet articles and/or StackExchange sites suggested. I have already seen this https://superuser.com/questions/946581/option-to-turn-bluetooth-on-or-off-is-missing and tried some of the suggested solutions. But nothing worked. I tried Ubuntu with a bootable USB, and bluetooth worked there like charm. However, when I logged back into Windows, it was still the same (no bluetooth).

Please advise on how to solve this problem?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 654
Message 2 of 6

Re: Bluetooth disappeared from the device manager after clean installation of windows 10

Hello sayanpal!

Welcome to the Community Forums!

I took a look at the compatible drivers and the Lenovo support site was only able to provide me with the drivers for Windows 8.1 this would mean that the drivers for Windows 10 was not made for this machine possibly from the age of the machine. It is still possible to install the compatible driver for the Bluetooth card if you use a third-party driver software (Driverpack Solution, Etc.)

Let us know if this helps out.

Regards.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

sayanpal
Paper Tape
Views: 649
Message 3 of 6

Re: Bluetooth disappeared from the device manager after clean installation of windows 10

Thank you for your reply. I have a question though. Is DriverPack really safe? My antivirus program is showing me a lots of warnings.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 631
Message 4 of 6

Hi sayanpal,

I don't think I would trust a 3rd party driver installer, I have had mixed experiences with them, not all of them good.

Follow the procedures in this thread and identify your hardware in device manager and then navigate to the MS driver update site and download the driver for your particular hardware.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-B-and-G-Series-Notebooks/Lenovo-G580-20150-Bluetooth-Problem-aft...

MS has updated that site a few times since that thread was posted, maybe you can find your correct driver from that.

Regards,

Dave

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
sayanpal
Paper Tape
Views: 608
Message 5 of 6

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your reply.

I have tried to find the driver from the Microsoft update catalog before. I am looking here: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Broadcom%20bcm20702%20windows%2010.
I tried to add legacy software after downloading and extracting some cab files. But it didn't work. There was this following errror: "The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems."

Regards,
Sayan
sayanpal
Paper Tape
Views: 604
Message 6 of 6

I finally solved it by updating BIOS from here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/de/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/LENOVO-G-SERIES-LAPTOPS/LENOVO-G580...

I rebooted after installation, and the bluetooth is there in the device manager Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors