cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaro1
Paper Tape
Views: 4,541
Message 1 of 4

Broken headphone jack got stuck in a plug, how to disable jack?

Hello all,

My device:
Lenovo G700 Notebook (00258-61457-41252-AAOEM), Windows 8.1, IDT Audio Driver

Situation:
My headphone jack is broken. A repair might be too expensive. I'd rather disable jack and to play sound via speakers

Problem:
My small daughter has broken headphone jack and it got stuck inside the notebook. I can't get it out so my computer still thinks that headohones are turned on. That's way  I can't get any sound through internal speakers.

My question:

Is there any fast way I can reconfigure the audio jakc or how to disable it (maybe in windows registry) on my notebook to be able to hear some sounds?  

Thanks in advance.

I will be grateful for any helpful advice! 

Jaroslav

SeniorGuru
Views: 4,524
Message 2 of 4

Re: Broken headphone jack got stuck in a plug, how to disable jack?

Locate the IDT sound control panel - if not in system tray area may be listed under all programs. Look thru preferences and settings for a feature that will allow discreet operation of audio jacks - IE allows you have speakers and headphones working on different audio sources.

If that does not work and you have the other end of the broken jack you could try a small dab of epoxy on the broken end and carefully attach to the piece that is in the jack. I have been able to use this successfully in the past but I stress small amount of epoxy - liquid metal type as you do not want it anywhere else.

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
jaro1
Paper Tape
Views: 4,483
Message 3 of 4

Hello CBHedricks,

I am not very experienced in these things and I was unsuccessful with the settings, could you please describe it more precisely? Thanks.
SeniorGuru
Views: 4,475
Message 4 of 4

@jaro1 wrote:
Hello CBHedricks,

I am not very experienced in these things and I was unsuccessful with the settings, could you please describe it more precisely? Thanks.

To physically remove the broken piece that is stuck in the port you can either use a small pair of tweezers that have gripping surfaces on the pads, or obtain Epoxy Glue in one of several formats, and use it to glue a small obect carefully to the exposed end of the broken jack. 

To try and use IDT audio control option to disable the headphones and redirect to the speakers you can use Windows Search for IDT Control Panel and see what it brings up.  If nothing shows try IDT or Audio.  If this fails to bring up choices related to IDT Control Panel you may need to re-install drivers and software to bring it in.

Once open look for a preferences setting that shows this or similar settings:

Make sure independant headphones is selected and uncheck option "When plug in Headphone, mute Speaker"  and you should hear audio from speakers.

As a thrid option you might be able to go into windows control panel, then audio and disable headphones, make built in speakers default device and test for sound.

If all of the above do not work, or you are still not comfortable witih performing this, a local service center may be the better choice.

Either way - best of luck.

Good luck.

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors