Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pinball_Wizard
What's DOS?
Views: 3,017
Message 1 of 3

CD/DVD Drive keeps disappearing/reappearing

Hi. I have a G570, recently I am getting this problem with dvd drive disappering and reappearing from my computer and device manager. I am running windows 7 ultimate sp1. My computer will make the sound effect when a device has been removed, it will disappear from my computer and device manager, it will then make that sound effect again a few moments later then it will reappear again. I have tried removing the drive and re-seating it, but it hasn't helped, any ideas on what I can try next? I don't mind purchasing a replacment dvd drive but I would like to know for sure it's not something else first, many thanks for any help you can give.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 2,976
Message 2 of 3

Re: CD/DVD Drive keeps disappearing/reappearing

hi Pinball_Wizard,

Welcome to the Forums.

CD/DVD issues are commonly fixed by running the microsoft hotfix from this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

If the problem is not solved, the issue is most likely hardware related. Either the ODD is faulty or the connection from the ODD from the motherboard is failing. If you don't have an external USB ODD enclosure (like this one) to test the ODD, then you may need to bite the bullet and just replace the ODD directly.

Best regards,

neokenchi

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Pinball_Wizard
What's DOS?
Views: 2,962
Message 3 of 3

Re: CD/DVD Drive keeps disappearing/reappearing

Hi

Many thanks for your response neokenchi.

I tried the microsoft fix it software but it hasn't helped.

I decided to take the laptop apart and removed the connector from motherboard to drive and re-seated it, the fault hasn't happened again but it was intermitent anyway so I will just use it for awhile and see if it persists, I doubt this has cured it but it was worth a shot.

If it happens again I will purchase a new drive and connector.

Thanks for your help.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors