Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arkavicky
Fanfold Paper
Views: 669
Message 1 of 7

CPU Upgrade Lenovo G 50-70 , Model- 20351

I have a G 50-70 , Model - 20351 laptop.It has an Intel Core i3 4010u 1.7Ghz processor runs on a Lancer 5A2 motherboard. Can i upgrade the cpu with more clock speed of same specification , like i5 4210u?

SeniorGuru
Views: 633
Message 2 of 7

Re: CPU Upgrade Lenovo G 50-70 , Model- 20351

I would strongly suggest downloading your mainenance manual and looking at the available parts (CPU's) to see if any are listed.  Also - the manual will walk you thru what is needed for the upgrade process if applicable.

Cheers.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
arkavicky
Fanfold Paper
Views: 620
Message 3 of 7

Thank you so much sir.

SeniorGuru
Views: 613
Message 4 of 7

Unfortuneately your CPU is soldered to the main board, and that means you do not have an upgrade path. There are a TON of motherboards listed, all show a specific CPU attached and this indicates all are soldered on, permanently affixed and not removable.

CB.

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
arkavicky
Fanfold Paper
Views: 589
Message 5 of 7

Yes, i know that sir. But if the old cpu is desoldered and replaced by an upgraded core i5 one by reballing process or by somehow, will that work?

SeniorGuru
Views: 581
Message 6 of 7

@arkavicky wrote:

Yes, i know that sir. But if the old cpu is desoldered and replaced by an upgraded core i5 one by reballing process or by somehow, will that work?

Desoldering a CPU is tricky, there are quite a few "pins" that are individually attached to the CPU, so it is a rather complicated process.  More often than not, the removal process will end up damaging other parts on the same board and render it unworkable.  Also a factor is the removal of every part from the computer needed to "work" on the CPU removal option, literally you would end up taking the entire base portion of the system apart.  This presents multiple points where issues with connectors, screws and optional boards could fail once reassembled and prevent the system from working.

What it boils down to;  Sell, donate, repurpose your aging computer, then replace it with a new to you model that meets your needs.  It keeps the older ones out of the landfill and allows you to take advantage of new technology that comes with a newer notebook computer.

Good luck.

CB

arkavicky
Fanfold Paper
Views: 569
Message 7 of 7

Thank you so much sir. Now i have got the clear view of upgradation limit.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors