Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo B and G Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

06-25-2014

United Kingdom

18 Signins

159 Page Views

• Views: 159
  • Message 1 of 2

Can No Longer Burn DVDs

2014-06-25, 8:39 AM

I have a Lenovo G700 series laptop and have recently found that I can no longer burn DVDs.  I can burn CDs and the drive can read DVDs & CDs.

I trawled the forums for any clue of what has gone askew including the registry fix, tried different media, different burning programs, files vs disc images and still no result.

I, and also a friend who works in IT suspect a hardware fault and, since still under warranty, contacted the support helpline who were quick to answer.  went through all the options for diagnostics and came down the "hit the system with the One-Key-Recovery" option to reset it back to factory preset condition to see if that fixed it.

Problem........:smileymad:

I have spent a very long time getting this machine set up with my home studio software etc and have large amounts of data which beggers the question, do I want to go through all that and how do I back up all my data prior to that as the machine will be wiped with no DVD writer.  I assured the guy on the phone that we we almost certain that it was the ODD hardware that had failed and could he send out a replacement?

Being still under warranty, I would have to return it to the service center where they would......... guess what, reset to factory preset prior to fitting the new hardware to ensure that the hardware was indeed faulty.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!

Catch 22 :smileysad:

Why can they not just send out a replacement drive for me to fit myself?

Warranty runs out in September which is probably how long it will take me to zip and backup my data using CDs or for out a pile of cash on a USB HDD all for the price of a replacement drive.

Can someone please help?

Options

3 Posts

06-25-2014

United Kingdom

18 Signins

159 Page Views

• Views: 159
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Can No Longer Burn DVDs

2014-06-27, 10:36 AM

Anyone know how I can get someone from Lenovo Customer Support to read & reply to this post?  I'm not that sussed with forum methods.  :smileyfrustrated:

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms