Rawndo
Paper Tape
Views: 1,743
Message 1 of 3

Can't find Chipset Drivers for Lenovo G550 - Windows 7

Hello,

first of all, here the necessary informations for my Laptop:

G550 Laptop (Lenovo) - Type 2958 - Model 29588MG

T4500(2.3GHz), 2GB RAM, 320GB 5400rpm HD, 15.6in 1366x768 LCD, Intel 4500M, CDRW/DVDRW, Broadcom 802.11bg wireless, 10/100 Ethernet, Camera, 6c Li-Ion, Win7 Home Premium 32

(taken from the lenovo page via serial-number)

I'm trying to fix the laptop of a friend. He deinstalled a lot of drivers for some reason, and after that the laptop wasn't running anymore.

I thought, sure no problem we just format the hard drive and reinstall windows. Unfortunatelly after formating i couldn't find the chipset drivers on the lenovo web page. I contacted the german lenovo support but they told me they do not provide the driver for windows 7, only xp and vista. I asked if it would work when using vista but he didn't know.

And now i wanted to ask if anybody could please help me with this.

I thought the driver must exist because the laptop was bought with windows 7.  Or did they just use the vista drivers and it works more or less?

Help would be very much appreciated, thanks!

Rawndo
Paper Tape
Views: 1,596
Message 2 of 3

Re: Can't find Chipset Drivers for Lenovo G550 - Windows 7

After many eMails with the german Lenovo Support (Medion AG) and Lenovo directly i got the Information that the only way to get the drivers is to buy Recovery DVDs in the Lenovo Shop... for only 39 EUR. It is not even possible to get a copy of Windows although you have legitimate key (Lenovo Windows Key) for it. Microsoft if asked will redirect you to Lenovo, Lenovo redirects you to the oh so cheap Recovery DVD.

Sadly this has been really disappointing, i am used getting the drivers directly from the manufacturer's website in digital form for free when using other brands. After this i won't be buying Lenovo in the future any time soon.

But i must say the Recovery DVDs were really easy to use. Just put it in press ok and it installs Windows and all drivers automatically, neat!

Laptop works again -> Problem solved

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,580
Message 3 of 3

Re: Can't find Chipset Drivers for Lenovo G550 - Windows 7

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

Sorry to hear of the frustration you had in trying to obtain the needed drivers.  When visiting Lenovo Support on-line did you check out the Legacy EOL download section on their website?  That area does have drivers for the G550 and Windows 7 with the exception of the Chipset driver.   I suspect with Windows 7 the G550 uses the native driver built into that operating system.  You could also try installing the Vista Chipset driver in Windows compatibility mode

Here is a link to the legacy EOL section for future reference......

https://download.lenovo.com/eol/index.html

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Top Kudoed Authors