Did you mean: 
Highlighted
gquick
Paper Tape
Views: 133
Message 1 of 3

Can't recover Windows 10 on to replaced hard disk

Lenovo laptop G580

I have created a Windows 10 recovery onto to a USB stick.

I have replaced my faulty hard drive, but now I can't recover windows to the replacment hard drive.

When starting up with the new hard drive installed I get the blue screen with "Choose Language Option"

After choosing language I get the Troubleshoot or Turn off  option

When choosing the Troubleshoot option, I only get the options

System Restore - use a restore point recorded on your PC to restore Windows

System Image Recovery - recover Windows using a specific system image file

I am not seeing the option Recover from a Drive, which should be there, I believe, from various Internet messages and posts I've seen

Can anyone hlep please to get my laptop back up and running Windows 10 ?

Geoff

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 118
Message 2 of 3

Re: Can't recover Windows 10 on to replaced hard disk

If you are not getting the Recover from Drive option, you must have missed selecting the option to "Backup system files to the recovery drive" when creating the Recovery drive, so you will have to download and create Windows 10 Installation Media to reinstall Windows 10 to you laptop.    

Download Windows 10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

When you get to the point where it asks for a Product Key, select the to skip  (or I do not have a key) option and Windows will automatically activate upon completion of the installation. 

Unfortunately you will be starting clean, so any data will have to be restored from backup, and applications will have to be reinstalled. 

FYI, If you do no have your data backed up, with luck you may still be able to recover it from the old drive if it just failed to boot from the drive, by mounting the drive into an external 2.5 inch USB enclosure, and copying off the the c:\users\<username> folders to your new HD.

Cheers, 

gquick
Paper Tape
Views: 115
Message 3 of 3

Re: Can't recover Windows 10 on to replaced hard disk

Thanks for your help. I'll try your suggestion.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors