Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Xaras
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,802
Message 1 of 19

Cannot make Recovery DVDs for the G580 with Windows 8

I notice that Windows 8 Notebooks are no longer being sold with Licenses affixed to the underside.  So if anything goes wrong (e.g. we have to replace the HDD at a later date)  we cannot just use a Windows 8 disk to restore the operating system.

This means it is important to make sure we have recovery DVDs. 

With previous versions One Key Recovery had an option to make restore DVDs - it misses that option with Windows 8.

Phoned Lenovo support who said that we should make the DVDs through the Windows Backup system, which again is fine but on both Lenovo's I have tried it on Windows 8 cannot make a backup to DVD.  Also even if we could make the windows backup or system repair disks they would not allow a complete factory restore to a brand new HDD. 

How do we make Recovery DVDs that would be bootable and would restore the Operating System to a brand new HDD if the worst should happen and the existing HDD suffered unrecoverable failure?  So far the only option that has come up from my various phonecalls is "buy a set of recovery discs for £25-£35 .... which would be a bit unfair having only had this 2 days.

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 12,787
Message 2 of 19

Re: Cannot make Recovery DVDs for the G580 with Windows 8

Hi Xaras, welcome to the forum,

unfortunately it doesn't seem to be possible with Windows 8, please see this post / thread for more information. If you must have DVDs you could maybe install a third party recovery software.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Xaras
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,775
Message 3 of 19

So we cannot make recovery DVDs at all? .... If the HDD fails we are forced to pay for the Recovery DVDs? That cant be true - if it is its ridiculous.  We cannot recover the original operating system - and with no licence we cant do a generic install, whos bright idea is that?  I can't screw my customers over by letting them walk away thinking they have a good product then sting them for recovery DVDs later because they cant make them.  We are not like the big companies we have to stand in front of our customers and look them in the eye  - we cannot get away with fobbing them off over the phone.

If we cannot make the DVD we should be given them with the notebook.

Can you suggest a possible free 3rd party piece of software with which I can make recovery DVDs with a standalone installer.?  I am a reseller - I know this is going to bite me if I cannot make recovery DVDs.  I really do not want to add £30/£40 to the price of every notebook - it would price me out of the market.

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 12,771
Message 4 of 19

Hi sorry,

I forgot to enter the link in my last post, hopefully it changes the situation for you

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-8/Buyer-Beware-Don-t-format-your-windows-8-disk/m-p/926111#M1840

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Xaras
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,744
Message 5 of 19

Thank you for trying to help.

Ok Followed the instructions on the link you gave me.

Inserted a new HDD to test, booted from the USB drive (the usb drive had to be 16Gb not 8Gb).

Clicked reset PC but got a message that it could not reset as "required partition was missing".  I tried this on 2 seperate HDD, a Seagate Momentus 250Gb, and a Western Digital 500Gb. 

I have a feeling this method only works by restoring an existing OS on the HDD - & not installing to a new HDD.

Here is what I need someone to talk me through.

If my HDD fails and I place a new HDD in the laptop how do I get it back up and running with the Windows 8 operating system.

Please - I have sold a number of these laptops, but I cannot let them go until I am confident that I can offer adequate support for them in the event of failure after warranty has expired.

Xaras
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,732
Message 6 of 19

We have spoken to microsoft support.

It is as I suspected, the routine to make the recovery drive on USB flash drive will reset the PC but not on a clean HDD it relies on Windows 8 already being installed on the HDD.

Microsoft say to reset the PC to a new HDD would require media from the OEM manufacturer (Lenovo).

As it stands it seems there is absolutely no way of recovering your system if the HDD fails without having to spend out on Recovery Media - This is not just a Lenovo problem , this appears to be the case with a few brands - I have the smae problem with a Sony laptop and a HP laptop, when warranties run out on these systems laptop manufacturers are going to be flooded with issues.

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 12,725
Message 7 of 19

Just for clarity,

when creating the backup to USB did you check the box to copy the recovery partition?  I'm guessing you did because 16GB were required, just would like to have this confirmed.

Andy  

Forum Search Option

PepperonI blog 

Xaras
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,721
Message 8 of 19

Yep checked the box- that asked for 16Gb, also tried it without the check - that asks for 512Mb.

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 12,671
Message 9 of 19

thanks for the feedback.

Could you please check out the following link and see if it contains a possible solution, I am aware it states only Think products in the compatability list but there are "cross-over" points where something could be of relevance to other Lenovo products.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=HT076024

thanks in advance

Andy  

Forum Search Option

PepperonI blog 

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 12,659
Message 10 of 19

sorry for the double post,

I was recommended another alternative solution from someone who uses it and says it works a treat, haven't personally tried it myself yet.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-discussion/5693-anyone-using-windows-7-file-recovery-windows-8-a....

Andy  

Forum Search Option

PepperonI blog 

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors