Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hohshua
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,615
Message 1 of 2

Critical Error: Start Menu and Cortana aren't working

I'm getting this error whenever I click "Sign out now" on the window but I keep getting the message. Not sure why, but I ran sfc /scan now in cmd. If it doesn't help, then I'm counting on you guys.
Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,600
Message 2 of 2

Re: Critical Error: Start Menu and Cortana aren't working

hi Hohshua,

Can you try to install all available Windows Updates to get the latest patch and bug fixes for the OS then reboot and observe.

If that doesn't fix it then, try these steps:

1. On an elevated command prompt, paste the following:

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

When finished, restart the machine then continuously tap F8 then boot into Safe Mode.

- Link to image

If the error message doesn't appear in Safe Mode, check if you got a free antivirus like Avast and completely uninstall it as it's reported to cause the issue as discussed in this article then restart Windows normally and observe

2. Run Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth on the command prompt to repair your Windows image (this may take a while).

Alternatively, ify ou have a Win10 ISO, you can follow this guide (see Step 6) to use the ISO instead to cleanup the image.

3. If the above steps doesn't work then you may want to consider backing up all of your important files and do a Refresh or Reset and observe.

Edit:

Added links

Let me know how it goes.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebppl and Twitter!

Top Kudoed Authors