cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brbates99
Paper Tape
Views: 5,641
Message 81 of 186

Re: Does Lenovo G500 have any wifi problems?

excellent! what was the process you went through to have them ask you to send it back and how long did it take? do I need to create a support ticket or just call them?
tvgood
Paper Tape
Views: 5,622
Message 82 of 186

I bought a Lenovo G500 with 64-bit Windows 8.1 from Best Buy last week. Connecting to the network at home has not been a problem at all, but everytime I try connecting to my University's network, I can't get past limited access. As jayscott instructed, I uninstalled the Lenovo Wireless driver and installed the newest version for 8.1 64 bit. As soon as I did this, I was instantly connected to the network and sailing smoothly across the internet.  Here's what I did step-by-step:

1. Went to control panel --> Programs --> Programs and Features

2. Once there, I selected Lenovo Wireless Driver and uninstalled it

3. Reset my computer

4. With an ethernet cord, I connected to the internet and looked up the correct WLAN Driver necessary. Just know what version and bit you are using. Here's a link if you have Windows 8.1 64 bit 

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/default.page  Or just google 'Lenovo Drivers'. That's how I found it.

5 After downloading the appropriate driver, I restarted my computer and my wifi started working.

Hopefully the step-by-step helps. Best of luck to all of you!  I completely understand how frustrating this is. 

Cheers!

-Tony

Adabar
Paper Tape
Views: 5,619
Message 83 of 186

I called the support. Explained what I have already tried and get an address label with RMA number to send out per Courier. Added a short error description to the package.Send out on Friday and received back today.

Was all without any problem.

Today I called them for the 2nd Laptop and received also directly the label with the number. Will go to the post-office tomorrow. Hope that this will also be back so quickly.

brbates99
Paper Tape
Views: 5,610
Message 84 of 186

Hi Tony,

Which network card do you have in your machine? Is it the Intel Centrino N-135? Or is it another card?

The Lenovo site shows that there is no driver to install for Intel cards and Windows 8.1. Also I never had a Lenovo Wireless Driver in the Program and Features section after I upgraded to 8.1. I suppose it is possible that driver is still somewhere on my machine, but I do not know what folder it would be in.

Link to picture

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

tvgood
Paper Tape
Views: 5,595
Message 85 of 186

My laptop has a Broadcom 802.11n Network Adaptor.  Yeah, that's very strange, I wonder why there's no update for the Intel Centrino.  I found an update for the Intel Adaptor for Windows 8, but not 8.1. Some people on this forum downloaded the driver for windows 8 even though they had windows 8.1 OS.  Here's the link to download that one for the Intel Adaptor.  Sorry I don't have any better suggestions right now.  Let me know if this helps at all.  I'll be happy to keep hunting.

-Tony

brbates99
Paper Tape
Views: 5,591
Message 86 of 186

I am using the Windows 8 version right now and it is hit and miss. Seems to work for a bit, especially at night and then in morning it fails a ton. Very strange, I think I am going the route of replacing the card from Lenovo. It seems like for the Broadcam you all have nailed the solution, but for this Centrino the solution is not there yet.

Thanks!

tvgood
Paper Tape
Views: 5,587
Message 87 of 186

No problem! Wish I could be more helpful!
beswaminathan
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,458
Message 88 of 186

yes, this piece of lenovo G500 has Wifi and Bluetooth issues.

Till now I couldn't go online with Wifi, the lenovo tech support couldn't help. But it all works fine with ethernet cable. I would say, lenovo didn't tested the product well for Bluetooth and Wifi. their documentation is pathetic.

@ baslisk: Can you tell what update you ran and where did you get it? I did everything as I spent close to 6hours cumulatively over phone with tech support. They even formatted my windows OS.

Now Bestbuy replied back that Lenovo Stopped this model altogether.

beswaminathan
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,457
Message 89 of 186

Windows 8 came with the laptop, wifi is not working. Did a windows update to 8.1 through ethernet cable. Still wifi shows limited and invalid ip configuration. Did a ip reset. It says wireless media disconnected. It can see wireless networks but can't connect.

Adabar
Paper Tape
Views: 5,442
Message 90 of 186

That´s the issue I´ve had also with WIN7, 8, Ubuntu, CentOS.

I send the box to Lenovo and they have replaced the card. All is working perfectly now.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors