Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo B and G Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

03-27-2021

United States of America

7 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 5

Ethernet drops connection to internet. Is it the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller?

2021-04-05, 1:16 AM

I have a G50-70 that is seven years old. It has been performing great until the last two weeks.  I my internet is a direct wire from the laptop to an ethernet jack in 

my wall.  The internet connection drops. I also had an issue with the wifi. Some of the steps I took:

1. I did reboot the laptop

2. Checked network adaptors and updated drivers where applicable.

3. rebooted the router. Requested from my provider a new router. still experiencing issues, internet dropping

4. called my provider. They did come out and check the internet and wifi. They did change the modem. All connections are providing internet and wifi at maximum range.

The wifi signal is strong. All other devices connected working well.

At this point it appears the issue is the Ethernet card in the laptop. The ethernet adaptor I believe is Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. Is there something else I can 

do to test the ethernet in the laptop? Also, assuming it is the laptop, what do I purchase as far as replacing the ethernet adaptor or card? 

Thank you !!!

Options

2403 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

153 Signins

13906 Page Views

• Views: 13906
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:Ethernet drops connection to internet. Is it the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller?

2021-04-05, 12:55 PM

Hello Subnut44,

Welcome to the Subnut44,

I would suggest trying to initiate a troubleshooting to your machine and this is to isolate if the issue would be hardware related issue.

You can go with downloading the recommended wireless drivers from the support site first then fully uninstall the drivers from Device Manager.

Go to the support page: enter your machine serial number to load the correct drivers, go to the Drivers and Software tab, click on Manual update then download/save the wireless drivers.

Proceed to the Device Managers: uninstall the wireless drivers - be sure to tick the checkbox to fully uninstall the driver.

Install the wireless drivers you downloaded earlier. Once the installation is done, restart the machine.

Update us how it goes.

Regards.
Dex_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

3 Posts

03-27-2021

United States of America

7 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

Re:Ethernet drops connection to internet. Is it the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller?

2021-04-05, 16:13 PM

Thank you for your response and the steps outlined above. I have previouly troubleshooted the machine and did not come up with anything other than no DNS server

detected. Which makes sense since internet dropped.

I did the uninstall of the ethernet driver and reinstalled the ethernet driver I downloaded. It appears to have worked as I am connected via the ethernet.

Key here if it holds. 

If the this procedure works I will do the same for the wifi. 

Thank you again !  

Options

3 Posts

03-27-2021

United States of America

7 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2021-04-05, 19:55 PM

Just to follow up, sad to report the internet dropped again. There is an obvious issue with the ethernet card.  I am currently on the internet via wifi.

No issues.

I had this laptop for seven (7) year and this is the first (and only issue) experienced. Have to say this laptop served me very well. 

Thank you again for your assistance. If there is anything else you can suggest, I would appreciate it.

Options

2403 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

153 Signins

13906 Page Views

• Views: 13906
  • Message 5 of 5

2021-04-07, 18:05 PM

Hi Subnut44,

Thank you for keeping up with the thread and for your observations. One of the last things I might advise is to test both of your connectivity by booting into safe mode with networking. If the connectivity drops on both, then I might advise that you may have to get in touch with any nearby service facility to have an internal check with your PC. Machines have their own glory days and this one might need a fix by this time.

Regards.
Dex_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms