US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 2

Expanding RAM for my Lenovo g470

2020-01-17, 22:15 PM

Hey guys, i would like to ask for some advice in this matter:

You see, i want to expand the ram for my notebook (an old one), but im not sure what are the limitations of my machine. Here are some specs:

1) Name: Lenovo g470

2) Mother board:

Manufacturer |Product                                  | Version
                                                               LENOVO         |Base Board Product Name | Base Board Version

3) Original Ram: _Dual channel

_ 4 GB (2 X 2 GB) / each one has a 1333 Mhz  frecuency / 9-9-9-24 latency / 1,5 volt.

_ Physically, each ram has 4 chips.

From my research, it seems that my notebook has a 32 GB limit, but i dont need that much, 8 GB will suffice.

I know that i can just buy 2 ram with 4 GB each,with the same specifics, but i would like to know if:

a) The new ram has to have the same number of chips. I´ve read that if the new ram has more chips than the original ram, it might not work.

b) My notebook might work with ram with higher frecuency, say 1600 Mhz. I´ve been seraching, but i cannot find any info in this matter. The name of the motherboard is not specific.

Options

3310 Posts

12-11-2015

US

4174 Signins

46072 Page Views

• Views: 46072
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Expanding RAM for my Lenovo g470

2020-01-18, 0:57 AM

It looks like your laptop will only support 8GB, so you need a get something similar to this kit sold by Crucial which they guarantee will fit your system.      You can run their memory scanner here to see all the available RAM and SSD options.

Note: The RAM that they sell is 1600MHz, but the BIOS of your laptop will clock it down to 1333MHz when installed, and will work fine in your laptop.

Personal Systems Reference Lenovo® Essential Notebooks 2006 - 2013 Withdrawn

http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/withdrawnbook/3wbook.pdf

Regards, 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save