newtonmusiclaw
Blue Screen Again
Views: 249
Message 1 of 7

FIREWIRE POSSIBLE WITH G780?

Hello -

First post...

I have a G780 which I am happy with.

I am a musician (Jazz saxophonist and pianist).

I have a device made by Presonus called a "Firepod."  It is an audio interface, and it uses a Firewire 1394 connection.  It allows my laptop to become a recording studio with software called a digital audio workstation ("DAW").

Previously, the Pirepod connected to a Firewire port on my defunct HP laptop.  Since I brought the Lenovo, I've been using a smaller audio interface, a Presonus "Audiobox USB" which, as the name implies, has a USB connection.

But the Audiobox USB (which is small and good for travel) doesn't have enough inputs for my current needs, which involve two digital pianos, saxophone and vocal mics.  The Firepod has 8 inputs.

Research unveils that a thing called a PCMCIA card will do the trick, but I don't see any such card slot on the G780, either.

So...

Since there is neither a Firewire port nor a PCMIA card slot on the G780, am I out of luck?

Thanks!

- Jeff

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 226
Message 2 of 7

Re: FIREWIRE POSSIBLE WITH G780?

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

PCMCIA slots are kind of dated now a days. Everything is USB.  Have you looked into a USB to Firewire adapter?  I've never use one so I can't verify it will meet your needs, but customer reviews on the various models should give you an idea.  The link below is a Google search on that hardware.  Check out some of the on-line sellers' websites and review the product as well as what the buyers had to say.

https://www.google.com/search?q=usb+firewire+adapter&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

newtonmusiclaw
Blue Screen Again
Views: 216
Message 3 of 7

Apparently those things don't work at all. This is from another audio interface's forum, where a poster posted a similar question:

"No, it is not possible to connect a FireWire interface to your computer's USB port via a FireWire to USB adapter since this connection is not sufficient to run a FireWire audio interface."

"If your computer does not have a built in FireWire port you should check if it has a PCI or PCIe slot (desktop computer); or a PCMCIA or Expresscard slot (laptop computer)."

Question was:

"Can I use a FireWire to USB adapter to connect my FireWire interface?"

So, is there anyway to rig up a PCMIA card slot to my G780? Thanks.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 209
Message 4 of 7

The other only way that I am aware of is to use a USB to PCMCIA adapter.  Then again you are back to using a USB connection. 

Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

newtonmusiclaw
Blue Screen Again
Views: 203
Message 5 of 7

Apparently, adaptors are made for express cards.

My G780 has a mini or half size express card.

I'm now looking for a Firewire adaptor for it.  There is one for desktops:

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Express-FireWire-Adapter-MPEX1394B3/dp/B004NNYJ34/ref=cm_rdp_prod...

I'll see what the manufacturer says about laptops.

newtonmusiclaw
Blue Screen Again
Views: 192
Message 6 of 7

I chatted with the manufacturer and they are only for desktops. They require a power supply and the card is too long to fit in a half size slot.

My G780 is useless for this purpose. Hopefully Lenovo will let me trade it in for one that has a Firewire connection. Otherwise, I'll have to spend big bucks on a new laptop that has one. Not sure if they offer this connection.
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 185
Message 7 of 7

Sorry to hear of the problems you encountered.  

Try giving Lenovo Sales a call at 1-855-253-6686 to see if they would have a model that would fit your needs.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors