Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
everydamntime
Paper Tape
Views: 806
Message 1 of 4

G 580 20150 stuck on splash screen (windows 10)

Is it bricked?

Last night my computer did its normal thing and shut down after being ~10% charged, but when I went to plug it in, & restart it it hung up on the splash screen for a while. I thought it was just extremely dead, so I turned it off again and let it charge for ~15 min, and when I turned it on for a 2nd time it lagged on the splash screen again, so I started button smashing. none of the F1-F12 keys did anything, but after I hit CTRL+ALT+DELETE the screne turned on and off & then I hit esc and it magically it booted up again.

The next morning it worked fine, until I unplugged it and used it until it did its thing again and shut down at ~10% charged how I like it. And then it hung up again no F1-F12 keys do anything, the one touch recovery key just turns it on with the splash screen still stuck, and CTRL+ALT+DELETE makes the splash screne turn on and off for a second. If I leave it on it will stay on the splash screne indefinitly or until it dies, I've let it charge and discharge a few times and that changes nothing. 

Some stats: Model: G580 20150 64 bit

OS: windows 10 upgraded from 8 (unsupported I know)

Processor: core i5

I've gathered it's either bios issue or a hdd issue, but all the form posts here are for windows 7, so I can't really go by that. Everything else on my computer was fine, good virus protection, and when it ran it ran fast. Funny, a simular thing happened to a Toshiba I had. I swear computers just have a kill switch after so many hours of use. 

SeniorGuru
Views: 791
Message 2 of 4

Re: G 580 20150 stuck on splash screen (windows 10)

The Li Polymer battery that is inside your main "battery case" is managed by a small electronics board or "smart" board that regulates power drain and charge to optimize battery run time and life span.  Running it flat then recharging is not a bad idea, but run battery diagnostics from the Lenovo Energy Manager and see if it needs to be replaced.

Windows 10 is still a bit buggy in many ways, so this may be the result of a driver or other software hanging up at boot time and not really based on hardware issues.  Try updating drivers, check BIOS settings and run diagnostics, then report back with findings.

Good luck.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
everydamntime
Paper Tape
Views: 767
Message 3 of 4

I took out the hdd, used a usb-hdd docking station I own & another computer to create a new backup of the drive to my USB hdd. I got my old computer to boot up eventually by pressing F2 with its hdd out and going to "InsydeH20" set up utility. I switched it to boot up a Legacy support mode instead of the UEFI option & switched the boot priority to legacy first. I also used the 2nd computer to run an error check on the questionable hard drive with the windows. That came up negative. So when I put the hard drive back in the computer it started up, but it gave me a tempory profile where Windows apps wouldn't load/were unavailable in Settings.  So I did another disc error check & my computer reboot to repaired itself, I thought. And It was kind of ok.

About a day later, when I go to turn on my laptop suddently it gives me my old user profile back (my profile is always a local one), but all my documents, pictures, music ect are deleted/inaccesable, microsoft office says i either don't have permission to view files that are in file explorer or that they're currupt.  The windows 10 start menu doesn't open at all, so I'm getting desperate. It's basically been reduced to a chromebook when I can get it to boot up. I can access chrome and the internet fine on it, but the only programs I can attempt to use are the shortcuts on the desktop due to the lack of start menu & now even they are crying curruption

Side note?: my optical disc drive keeps spinning/searching? for a disc to read  on and off and won't stop.

Tried windows disc repair through system restore, and that got it stuck on the splash screen yet again when it tried to restart.

On that 2nd computer I installed Seatools for windows since the hdd in question is a seagate & short generic tests comes up nothing.

I'm runing out of ideas, should I just wipe or scrap the drive? It's really hard to run diagnostics when the tests themselves require a reboot & that's where it hangs up all the time.

SeniorGuru
Views: 755
Message 4 of 4

It does sound like the permissions for your User Profile are not working for some reason, that is why you are locked out of your documents.  Did you use bit locker or turn on drive encryption during the setup or first use screens from the Windows Install Experience? 

What I would do is use the USB dock to copy your important files off the HDD then return it to the notebook and use the Lenovo button (smaller button right next to the power button) to turn on the notebook.  It should present you with options to perform a factory restore (destructive) from the hidden partition on your disk.  If that does not work you will either need a retail DVD for the OS of choice, or oder recovery disks from Lenovo Support.

At this point the return to factory load out (recovery) sounds like the best option to overcome the errors you are reporting.

Good luck.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors