09-22-2015 02:52 AM
I have a Lenovo G40-70 with a Model Name:20369. It has a sticker of AMD Radeon Graphics so i am expecting it to have AMD Radeon Graphics but instead all i am seeing is, my laptop is using Intel HD Graphics. How do i fix this problem? I tried searching for the answer but all they say is to change the Graphic Device in BIOS but i cannot find that option in my BIOS
09-22-2015 05:43 AM
Welcome to the Forums.
To check if the machine does have a discrete AMD graphics, can you please look at the bottom sticker and provide the Machine Type Model (e.g., 59425841).
Let me know you findings.
09-22-2015 06:39 AM - last edited on 09-23-2015 07:00 AM by Majestic
i hope these are the answer
Mod's Edit: Serial number removed to protect owner from its unwanted use.
09-22-2015 08:52 AM - edited 09-22-2015 08:53 AM
It looks like you purchased this machine in Singapore.
Using this parts lookup page, the systemboard and heatsink does indicate that you have a discrete AMD Radeon R5 M230 graphics.
- Link to picture (CPU w/ Discrete GPU heatsink)
- Link to picture (CPU heatsink only)
- Sample item (59438000 w/ discrete graphics)
You can also verify this by looking under the hood (see this video guide)
Things that you can try:
1. Remove the AC adapter and battery then press and hold the power button for 20secs.
2. Reinsert the AC adapter and boot into the BIOS. Once in the BIOS, hit F9 to load the default configuration of the machine then hit F10 to save and exit.
3. When the machine restarts, go back into the BIOs and check if you can now see two options under the Configuration Tab > Graphic Device. (choose Discrete or Switchable Graphics) then hit F10 again to save and exit.
4. Once the machine boots back into Windows, open Device Manager > Display Adapters and you should be able to see two graphics device.
Let me know how it goes on your end.
09-22-2015 09:46 AM - edited 09-22-2015 10:23 AM
The graphic device under configuration doesnt showup.... And is there a way to enter bios in uefi without going into windows first? Ill try to repeat this maybe im doing something wrong
this is what is in my bios
or maybe is there a BIOS update that i can do to make that option appear?
09-22-2015 02:05 PM
That's odd. You should usually have a setting to toggle the Graphic Device in the BIOS's Configuration tab.
To enter the BIOS without going into Windows, try pressing the OneKey Recovery button then select BIOS Setup.
As for updating the BIOS, the latest version doesn't indicate any changes in the Graphics Device (see this readme.txt) but you can consider doing.
1. Run this BIOS Update (ensure you close all programs and temporarily disable any running antivirus software)
2. When the machine restarts, boot into the BIOS (by pressing F2 or Fn+F2) then hit F9 to reload default configurations and observe.
09-23-2015 06:02 AM
It does seem like the discrete GPU is malfunctioning as it's not being detected even with an updated BIOS
If you're in the Philippines right now, I recommend you contact the lenovo helpdesk or one of the authorized service provider to have it checked (since it's covered via the International Warranty Service).
1-800-8908-6389 (GLOBE subscribers)
1-800-1441-0659 (PLDT subscribers)
Tagalog / English
Hours of operation:
8.30 - 17.30 Monday - Friday
9:00 - 15:00 Saturday
Service Provider List (Philippines)