Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TG40
Fanfold Paper
Views: 254
Message 1 of 4

G40-70 upgrade hdd to ssd

Hi, I currently have a Lenovo G40-70 running on 1TB HDD (partitioned as picture below).This PC snapshot.jpg

I find the laptop running quite slow as I turn it on, openning a picture file or as I download a file on internet. Below are my questions:

Q1. What can I do to speed up the laptop without incurring too much cost (no more than USD80)? Is upgrading HDD to SSD the best solution?

Q2  If above answer is "yes", can I use NVMe SSD?

Q3  Why is that the laptop comes with SATA hdd while it has PCIe bus (as seen on the product spec sheet)?

Q4 Is it practical to have both SSD and HDD drives on the same computer? If yes, should I leave the HDD drive as it is on its existing position ("C" and "D" drive) and replace the CD Rom drive with SSD? Or should I replace the HDD with an SSD then replace the CD Rom drive with HDD removed from "C" drive?

Q5 How about the migration? Do I just need to migrate everything from "C" drive or I need to migrate both "C" and "D"?

Hope someone could help, many thanks 

Highlighted
SeniorGuru
Views: 213
Message 2 of 4

Re: G40-70 upgrade hdd to ssd

In most cases, the CD Rom slot does not work well, if at all with HDD's, and will not be that reliable.

Before replacing the HDD, try to see just how full the existing drive is, a 1tb SSD is going to be an expensive option.

If the drive is not over 50% full, it may just need to be defragged - or have a "clean up" done to improve performance. I use "Defraggler" from the same people that make CCleaner. It works better than the native Windows tool, and can boost performance by stream lining the data on the drive.

Just a few options to look into.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
TG40
Fanfold Paper
Views: 210
Message 3 of 4

Hi CB, as can be seen on the above picture, the HDD is only 1/4 full. But my laptop is slow to boot and slow to download file. I will try "Defraggler" as suggested. Will revert soon. Thanks...
TG40
Fanfold Paper
Views: 177
Message 4 of 4

I completed the defragmentation process. It's a long process taking no less than 8 hours. The computer seems to run faster after that but still underperformed at 55 MB/s (see screenshot attached).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors