cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lenovo Staff
Views: 54,244

Question

I have just bought the G500 and I'm getting really annoyed by the keyboard. 

It has "great" multimedia keys as the main keys instead of usual F1-F12 keys. To access their functionality you must press Fn+appropriate key, for instance, Fn+F1. 

I have tried: 

• enter BIOS (no such option swap for keyboard)
  • install Lenovo Slim USB Keyboard application (runs, but the option selected have no effect)
  • install Lenovo Ultraslim Plus Wireless Keyboard & Mouse Driver application (do not run at all - just brings me to the desktop and do nothing)

I'm not able to use the computer since I use a lot of application depending on the functional keys and if there is no solution I will have to buy another computer, and it would not be Lenovo anymore.

Answer

We were aware of the feedback and it has been conveyed to engineering for their improvement.

Good news is a new BIOS has just been released to address this concern.

Click below here to access the BIOS file: 

BIOS Update for Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit), Windows 8 (32-bit, 64-bit) - Lenovo G400, G500 - v2.01

Follow the instruction of installation and you should be able to use the function keys without FN right away. If it doesn't you have to enable it in BIOS.

Note: Make note of any settings you have changed in the BIOS Configuration Utility. These settings may have to be re-entered after updating the BIOS.

Attention: Do not power off or restart your computer during the BIOS flashing process, which will cause serious damage and improper functioning of your computer.

How to go to BIOS in Windows 8? Check out this article: How to get into BIOS in Windows 8.

How to enable in BIOS: 

1. In BIOS, go to Configuration tab
  2. Arrow down to find "HotKey Mode"
  3. Press Enter to change from "Hotkey Mode" to "Legacy Mode".
  4. Press Fn+F10 to save the settings and exit BIOS

If you can't find the HotKey Mode, please try reloading BIOS Default Settings.

You can do so by going to Exit > Load Default Settings.

Was this information helpful?

Contributors