Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattcorpin
Paper Tape
Views: 5,189
Message 1 of 3

G4070 SSD and memory upgrade

I want to upgrade my RAM and remove the optical drive and change it to SSD( SSD upgrade shown in his video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J56yj8_QHVM). Can you please help me out in determining the accessories and items needed? The video shows a cadd yused to mount the hdd. It was not revealed, however the exact model of the caddy. And for the RAM, can I just buy any DR3L brand for the upgrade? Hope you can help me out. Thank you!

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 5,183
Message 2 of 3

Re: G4070 SSD and memory upgrade

hi mattcorpin,

Welcome to the Forums

From page 28 & 77 of the G40-70 maintenance manual, the system supports:

- DDR3L-1600 (1.35v) SODIMM × 2 (max 16 GB)

- Internal 9.0 mm 

For the RAM upgrade, if you have 8GB RAM and you're planning to max it out to 16GB, you will need to look under the hood first to identify if you have 4GB (x2), or a single 8GB. If you have the former, then it'll be best if you get a 8GB (x2) dual channel kit, otherwise, if you have a single 8GB RAM already, another 8GB DDR3L-1600 (1.35v) will suffice (any brand will do but I prefer Kingston as it's popularly sold here in the Philippines).

For the HDD caddy, the person on the video must have used a universal 9.5mm HDD caddy (like this item). You can find these items in OLX.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

MJAT21
Paper Tape
Views: 3,529
Message 3 of 3

Re: G4070 SSD and memory upgrade

Hi support. I have a G40-70 Laptop. Machine Type Model: 59441219.

I bought a Kingston DDR3 SODIMM (not DDR3L) and it worked. Is there by any chance that a DDR3 can fully work on this laptop? The store have a technician and told them I still have warranty.. They asked me what type of memory I am using and told them it should be DDR3L. But the technician said let's try using DDR3 and see if it will work. I have original 2GB RAM. After putting the additional 4GB Kingston RAM, it worked.. Right now I have 6 GB RAM in total when we check system properties.

I am just worried that the RAM they installed will not "fully" work or might have some problems in the future. I know it's working right now, cause I can see I am now running 6GB of RAM. What I am worried about is that after some time this laptop might just get bunch of error or will get damaged because of incompatible hardware running inside it since you said that this laptop should have a DDR3L.

Looking forward for your response.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors