cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crono99
What's DOS?
Views: 2,859
Message 1 of 8

G50-45 DVD Unable to burn CD's, DVD's OK.

System - WINDOWS 8.1 fully updated.

I am unable to create CD's.  I can create DVD's without any problem.

When I try to burn a CD it fails after about 2 minutes / 62MB of writing with a simple message ' write error'.

I have tried with four different burning packages and also with the Windows Explorer function. All exactly the same.

I have tried several makes of CD.

I have tried CD-R and CD-RW.

I have tried 700MB & 800MB media.

Depending on the software, I have tried several writespeeds from 48x down to 4x but all fail.

All combinations fail with this error after approximately the same elapsed time or data as above. On a 'music CD' writing tracks it is about the end of the first track - which is actually playable.

Doing a full erase of a CD-RW also fails after about 1 minute 53 seconds.

I have downloaded the LENOVO Optical device diagnostic tool - this passes the device on all tests including the write test - but I'm not sure the test does  a full CD (700MB) as it only runs for about 4 minutes which seems quite quick.

Device Manager shows (as it always does) 'this device is working correctly'. 

A Device Manager search for newer drivers shows that the latest driver is installed.

This is not a new problem, I have never been able to write a CD but normally only write DVD's so was not bothered by the problem until this week.  Should have done something about it earlier.......

I earlier tried a 'one key restore' but this did not make any difference. No longer in a position to do this again.

Any suggestions please?

Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,848
Message 2 of 8

Re: G50-45 DVD Unable to burn CD's, DVD's OK.

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

Sorry to hear of your problems.  Have you ever tried cleaning the optical drive's lens?  Just use a clean soft brush or cloth to lightly wipe the lens surface.  I'm thinking that possibly the CDs are burnt at a different intensity than a DVD and that maybe the lens is dirty.

If cleaning the lens didn't correct the problem then I suspect the optical drive itself is faulty.  If the computer is still under warranty then I would recommend you contact Lenovo Support for assistance in replacing the drive.  If the computer is no longer under warranty, a cheaper solution would be to just purchase an external optical drive for CD burning.  Those devices are frequently on sale and most likely would be a cheaper alternative than a factory replacement.

You can find a phone number for Lenovo Support in your country by using the link below.  Just use the drop down box to select the correct country.  (I  would provide a link, but that webpage is currently down, sorry!)

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/supportphonelist

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

crono99
What's DOS?
Views: 2,833
Message 3 of 8

Hi Majestic,

Thanks for taking the time to help, and for the suggestion.  I have cleaned the lens as suggested and tried another burn, still the same problem unfortunately.

I also tried an external USB CD writer, this works fine.  But in addition to being a different physical drive it is also using a different driver (drive manufacturer supplied rather than the default Microsoft). Wish I knew which was at fault.

I am also trying to contact Lenovo support as the PC still has 6 weeks warrenty left.

Thanks again.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,823
Message 4 of 8

If you have some time, check out the freeware burner I have listed below if you haven't done so already.  It is an all around burner that supports a variety of drives as well as all the Window versions.  I'm just curious if it might work.

https://cdburnerxp.se/en/home

As for Lenovo Support, the optical drive in your model can be replaced by the consumer.  See if Support will send out a replacement to you.  That will eliminate the need of having to send in your whole computer.  Your model's User Guide explains how to replace the optical drive on page #53.  I have included a link below to that guide for your reference......

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_g40_g50_z40_z50_ug_english.pdf

Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

crono99
What's DOS?
Views: 2,807
Message 5 of 8

Hi again,

Many thanks for the links.

I have not seen this CD burning software before,  I am currently using  BurnAware Free, previously (on Windows-XP) I used DeepBurner.  The web-page lists my drive as being compatible so I have downloaded the software and hope to try it tomorrow.

Lenovo support replied to the case I opened by just sending me a link to the list of European warrenty support locations.  I have e-mailed the nearest (some 300Km away) and we will see what happens.....

Thanks again, I'll update as and when anything happens.

crono99
What's DOS?
Views: 2,786
Message 6 of 8

Hi,

Sorry a bot slow, we have been flooded - pouring rain for days, other priorities!

I have tried the burning software you suggested.  Interesting results which vary by CD brand. Using a 'Clas Olson' CD-RW (have been using these for about 10 years without any problems)  same error as using Burn-Aware.  Using a TDK CD-RW burns perfectly though this same physical disk previously failed with Burn-Aware.  Unsure where this leaves me!  When we get dried out I'll try with Sony & Maxell which I also have handy.

The same ClasOlsson CD burns fine on my old Lenovo (with XP).

Local (300Km away) Lenovo support place has been rather unhelpful ('we only deal with Pro series machines').  Will now try phoning abroad......

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,781
Message 7 of 8

Sorry to hear of the weather problems. No apologies needed on the delayed reply.  Computers can wait, deal with your other priorities.

From what you have described it sounds like you have a temperamental optical drive that only likes certain brands of discs.  I use to see a lot of that back in the days when CD burners started to become popular.  Through the years I have found that name brand discs seem to work the best.

alex17pat1
What's DOS?
Views: 1,435
Message 8 of 8

One of the Best DVD Burning Software for windows which I know are

1. BurnAware Free

2. Free CD DVD Burner

3. CD Burner XP

4. Burn4Free

5. Free Video To DVD Converter

source:- http://merabheja.com/top-10-free-dvd-burning-software-for-windows/

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors