cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BobBloom
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,119
Message 1 of 3

G50-45 doesn't like AMD video driver, Update BIOS?

I need help.  Bottom line up front: I want to reflash the BIOS/UEFI on my Lenovo G50-45 Type 80E3.  Attempts to do this from Windows have failed.  Is there are way to do this from a flash drive or DOS?  Symptoms and details follow.

The problem machine is one of ten identical (both hardware and software) laptops occasionally used in a classroom.  The other 9 laptops are working perfectly.

The problem machine (and all the others) were fine 5 months ago when updated to Windows 10 v1607.  When taken out of storage the problem machine started to boot to Windows but hung before the lock screen.  After >30 minutes waiting, I was able to do some recovery options, but all failed to fix the problem.  Restoring the original OEM image or even a complete image from another working machine had no effect.  Of some significance:  if I waited >1 hour sometimes I got a Windows error, "thread stuck in device driver."

I wiped the HD completely with secure erase, and then installed a vanilla ("Clean") copy of Windows 10 v1703, the current 'Creators Update.'  This worked fine until connected to the Internet, upon which it quickly hung and crashed.  By installing drivers off-line one-by-one I traced the problem to the AMD Video device driver; as soon as the Microsoft Basic Video driver was updated/replaced, it crashed, "thread stuck in device driver."  Multiple driver versions gave the same result.

A recommended solution to the hung thread is to update the BIOS/UEFI.  All laptops are currently on v2.04, (a2en36ww.)

Attempting to update to either v2.06 (a2cn45ww) or reflashing v2.04 have the same result:  The updater starts in Windows, user confirms the update, and then Windows restarts.  After the screen blanks, the Lenovo flash screen from BIOS does *not* appear.  The power indicator blinks very slowly on and off (once a ~minute) and the screen backlight goes on and off without displaying anything.  The Lenovo flash screen never appears.  If I wait ~1 hour, eventually an error message is displayed, saying approximately, "Checksum error, press any key to reset."  Pressing any key resets the computer (it appears to power off and on) but the 'Lenovo' still never appears.  Forcing the computer off, waiting a couple minutes and restarting restores the original BIOS and I'm back where I started.  I've done this 3 times with different BIOS versions, it scares me that it will not wake up afterward.  (I've killed computers before doing this.)

All tests show no errors in the hardware:  HD, RAM, CPU, etc.  The Lenovo test will not test the basic video driver.  Restarting Windows generally causes a long delay as if the POST is not completing, eventually 'Lenovo' shows and it boots. (Video driver not included.) 

I have tried different secure boot and legacy support BIOS/UEFI settings, and complete resets without success.  There appears no way to turn off the 'Lenovo' flash screen and show POST results, and no way to update the BIOS/UEFI within the BIOS/UEFI.

Summary Specs:  AMD A8-6410 2.0GHz “Mullins”,6GB RAM, 500 HDD, DVD+/-RW, AMD Integrated R5 Radeon Video, Windows 10 Home 64-bit, v1607 or v1703.

So what should I do now?  Is there a Lenovo tool that allows closer control of the firmware?

BobBloom
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,051
Message 2 of 3

Re: G50-45 doesn't like AMD video driver, Update BIOS?

Followup.  I managed to block the automatic driver upgrade with a registry entry, so now the thing is running with the Basic Microsoft Video Adapter driver *and* connected to the Internet so I can get other updates.

Video in games suck, but at least it's running.  Another observation: warm boots take a long time for the 'Lenovo' BIOS flash screen to appear.  Warm boots after trying to re-flash the BIOS never work.  Cold boots take less than 5 seconds for the Lenovo logo to appear.  Something is definitely messed up with BIOS or the hardware of the video system.

Again, is there a Lenovo utility to flash the BIOS?

BobBloom
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,028
Message 3 of 3

Re: G50-45 doesn't like AMD video driver, Update BIOS?

Tried the UEFI bootable USB Lenovo diagnostics.  Ran the complete tests with no error.  But obviously there is something still seriously wrong with this computer.  And again, I have 9 other identical machines that are working fine.  I was able to get an image transplant from a working machine to work on this machine only by un-installing the AMD video driver.  And, of course, WIndows 10 wants to immediately update the driver when connected to the Internet.  I blocked that, but the Basic Microsoft Video driver is so slow that even simple graphic applications are unusable. 

Tried 's solution to flash the BIOS from a USB booted DOS.  https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Welcome-FAQs-Knowledge-Base/How-to-flash-InsydeH2O-EFI-under-DOS-enviro....  Got the same errors as others, "Error: Not support AT-p information CL Registry:0x2" which which there has been no response.   For all of the details of that post it is remarkedly lacking in details of how to actually execute the update.

I am going to beat this thing!   

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors